Cranberry Orange Carrot Cake; this soft and moist cake is packed with fruits, veggies and yogurt for a delicious dessert that you can feel good about eating.
One of my favorite things about the Holidays -besides all the food (I just can’t help it), is visiting with family and friends. Aside from the ones I expect to see, I love the surprise and excitement of seeing the ones I don’t presume to see. And off course, the Holidays are a great time to meet new people too.
With all the expectations and surprises going on, one thing should be 100% understood, planned and checked off the list… food!
In my food-driven mind, as long as I have plenty of delicious foods around the house and ready-to-go, I am good! I mean… feeling as good, relaxed and ready to embrace it as if I had just stepped out of the yoga studio.
Is it just me tho?? I think my late Grandmother may have corrupted my mind to think that everyone could always use some more food, hahaha.
My intent for this Cranberry Orange Carrot Cake was simple. To make a delicious and irresistible cake, that was healthy enough to qualify for a spot at the breakfast table, still be able to make an appearance in the afternoon tea and treat pairing and definitely be my center piece at the dessert table. Did I pull it off?? (<<this is an invitation for comments, by the way. wink wink)
By now you know that I like to throw in fresh veggies and produce whenever I can, after all they are the best tasting natural ingredients to complete any recipe. When choosing each and every ingredient to make a recipe, quality always comes first. Which is why I have once again partnered with my friends at Organic Valley® to bring you this delicious recipe that you can eat and feel good about.
The key ingredient to a perfectly soft, moist and tasteful healthy cake, muffin or baked goods, is a good high quality yogurt. Organic Valley Grassmilk Yogurt adds the perfect moist content, delicious taste and keep things healthy and simple. Organic Valley Grassmilk Yogourt has absolutely NO antibiotics, synthetic hormones, toxic pesticides or GMO. Simply a tasty, nutritious and delicious yogurt that you can add to your favorite recipes or eat as is.
Now let’s get to the recipe. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy it 🙂
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup Organic Valley Grassmilk Plain Yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp orange zest (1 orange)
- Juice from 1 orange (1/3 -1/2 cup of juice)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Pre-heat oven to 350F degrees. In a medium bowl add the first 3 (cake) ingredients (dry ingredients) to combine. Set aside. In a large bowl add the eggs, carrots, maple syrup, yogurt, vanilla extract, orange zest and orange juice and mix until well combined. Add the flour mix into the liquids and mix well. Fold in the cranberries. Pour batter onto a greased loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Heat the water and 1 cup of sugar, until the sugar has completely dissolved (don't let it boil). Remove from heat and let it cool off almost completely. When cooled, add in the cranberries and let it bathe in this sugar syrup water for 5 minutes. Pour the remaining 1 cup of sugar onto a flat bowl or any flat container with sides. Using a slotted spoon, remove the cranberries from sugar syrup and place it in the sugar bowl. Shake the sugar bowl to coat the cranberries equally with sugar. Remove the cranberries from the sugar bowl and set aside (in the refrigerator, preferably)
- In low heat, dissolve the powdered sugar with 1 tbsp water, mixing with a rubber spatula to keep the consistency creamy. Add the orange zest and mix. Let it cool off for 1-2 minutes.
- Once the cake is done baking and cooled off, pour the orange glaze over it, letting the glaze drip down the sides. Set aside for 1-2 minutes. Add the sparkling cranberries and orange slices for a complete and delightful look.
Choosing the right brands that supports a healthy diet and contributes to the work of Family Owned Farms is a true passion of mine. I am proud to be sponsored by Organic Valley® to bring you this delicious recipe. To learn more visit Organic Valley Coop and don’t forget to sign up for coupons.