BEST Grilled Cheese! A yummy twist on the classic grilled cheese recipe, this gourmet-like grilled cheese is made with butter toasted sourdough, crispy bacon, gooey havarti and fresh spinach!
Guyssss… I never thought I would freak out over GRILLED CHEESE but I totally am! I mean, who doesn’t love a good grilled cheese right? and when you make it on a buttery sourdough with crispy bacon, gooey havarti and fresh spinach, things get very exciting!
I am already picturing myself enjoying this tasty Bacon Spinach Grilled Cheese while in my garden, sunbathing on the deck or by the pool, on a picnic by the lake… whatever the occasion may be, it’ll sure feel good to get this gourmet-like grilled cheese in my belly, and the best part is, the salad is included!
best methods for cooking grilled cheese
Although it’s called ‘grilled’ cheese, other methods of cooking can also do the job just fine. Here are my favorites ways to make a delicious grilled cheese without an outdoor grill:
- this cast iron stove top grill is by far my absolute favorite! To me nothing competes with a cast iron for heat distribution and this durable Le Creuset piece will last your entire life or probably longer. It gives that nice grill marks that I love so much.
- this smokeless indoor grill is another fantastic option not only to make a grilled cheese but burgers, steak, fish, veggies, basically everything you would normally cook on a grill but indoors.
- don’t care for the grill marks? this cast iron skillet will do the job just fine! It’s an inexpensive pan that with little care will last you a lifetime.
how to make a delicious gourmet grilled cheese at home
First you want to select a bread that has good flavor and a nice consistency. I love using sourdough because it’s guaranteed to toast to perfection, has good flavor and perfect golden edges.
Brush both sides of the toast including edge with a good quality unsalted butter and set aside. This step will add flavor and give the bread that golden toast crust that we love so much.
Toast slices of bread on one side then flip them and start to add your delicious toppings on; first the cheese, followed by a couple slices of crispy bacon, fresh spinach and another slice of cheese. Top the grilled cheese with second slice of bread and toast both sides to perfection.
For the finishing touch you can add a fried egg on top of each grilled cheese and you’ll have a tasty gourmet grilled cheese that everyone will enjoy!
other delicious lunch recipe to try this summer:
Spicy Shrimp Tacos – These easy healthy tacos are DELICIOUS and super nutritious too! (Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Soy-Free)
Healthy Chicken Caesar Wraps – A colorful arrangement of healthy greens and veggies topped with a flavorful steamed chicken breast and wrapped in a delicious sprouted 7-grain wrap
Shrimp Salad Sandwich – BEST Shrimp Salad Sandwich served on a soft brioche bun. Fresh flavors such as dill, crunchy celery and lemon dill mayo makes this sandwich a delicious addition to your summer menu
Bacon Spinach Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices sourdough
- 12 slices havarti cheese
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Melt butter and brush on to both sides of each sourdough slice.
- In a large skillet toast the bread, two slices at a time. Place two slices of cheese on top of one of the bread slices. Next add two slices of bacon, a handful of spinach, another cheese slice and top with a toasted sourdough. Press firmly down with a spatula and cook until cheese is melted and sourdough is golden brown.