Greetings from my busy kitchen!
I hope you are all enjoying the Sun and finding plenty of pleasureble outdoor activities. I have been so busy lately and enjoying every minute of it. Some of what’s keeping me busy is the starting of my organic vegetable garden. I usually start most of my seeds indoors, now being the right time to transport them outside and direct sow more seeds. It’s a fun thing to do and the kids actually enjoy helping me. I think there is a lot to be said to teaching your kids how to grow some vegetables and exposing them to the basics of where our foods comes from and how they grow. This will lead them to healthier eating habits as they grow.
Although I mostly cook and eat healthy foods, I believe that once in a while is okay to make a fun treats for the kids. I mostly believe in a balance diet and lifestyle. Make healthy eating the base and foundation to a stronger and healthier you, but once in a while don’t turn down on your favorite dessert because it’s loaded with sugar (but make that once in a while my friend, as sugar can be really harmful to you!). Comfort foods and sweet foods are good for your soul, therefore it’s important to make it happen too.
So here is a treat I just couldn’t turn down. The kids have been so helpful with the garden and at the end of the day I think they should be rewarded with a little treat. These chocolate covered rice krispies treats are absolutely delighful!
This week so happens to also be Teachers Appreciation week and we mothers have been asked to bring in some baked good. The kids chose this treat to share with the Teachers…
You see, a simple recipe like this will go a long way. Make it for the family and some to share. There are so many little ways you can give some love and food happens to be one of my favorite ways to express my love.
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1 bag (10oz) marshmallow
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 full size Hershey's milk chocolate bars
- In a medium saucepan heat the butter until melted.
- Add the marshmellows and vanilla extract and stir constantly until it's all melted.
- Add the cereal and mix until all the cereal have been covered with marshmallows.
- Pour this into a sprayed 9x12 pyrex and push it down and into the corners. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate bars in the microwave, carefully removing it to mix every 30 seconds.
- Once the chocolate have melted (about 2 mins total), pour it over the rice krispies.
- With a flat spatula spread the chocolate evenly over the entire surface.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting into bars.