Need a healthy option for lunch or dinner? Try these Gluten Free Chicken Meal Prep Bowls! Made with baked chicken, quinoa, and vegetables, each bite is packed with protein and doesn’t skimp on flavor.
Gluten Free Chicken Meal Prep Bowls are a great go-to when you’re all out of ideas for healthy lunches! Made with simple ingredients, these easy bowls are packed with protein, flavor, and nutrients.
I kept everything simple in these gluten free meal prep bowls so you can easily stick to a budget, your goals, and stay on track. In each bite, you’ll find:
- Boneless skinless baked chicken breasts
- Chicken broth-infused quinoa
- Carrots and peas
Just like my Keto Steak Meal Prep Bowl and Steak and Cauliflower Rice Bowls, these chicken and quinoa bowls are full of vitamins and nutrients, naturally gluten free, and very filling. Whip them together on Sunday so you can enjoy hassle-free lunches all week long!
How to start meal prepping
Are you ready to stress less and be prepared for the week ahead? Then meal prepping is right for you! Picking one day out of the week to prepare and pack your breakfasts, lunches, dinners, or snacks can save you so much time and stress.
Use these tips if you’re just starting out with meal prep:
- Pick which meals you want to tackle and make a list of all of the ingredients you need to buy.
- Get it all done on one day of the week. Sunday is a perfect meal prep day because then everything is ready for the week ahead.
- Invest in microwave and dishwasher-safe airtight containers.
- If you’re prepping lunches and dinners, always include protein and vegetables. This combo ensures that every meal is filled with nutrients and keeps you fuller longer.
What goes into a chicken and quinoa meal prep bowl?
- Chicken breasts – Boneless baked chicken breasts act as the protein to make the bowl extra filling.
- Quinoa – Chicken meal prep bowls are often severed with quinoa or rice but you can use any grain you love. Try substituting the quinoa for basmati rice, cauliflower rice, farro, mashed potatoes, cauliflower mash, or polenta.
- Vegetables – I used carrots and frozen peas but you can use any vegetable that you love, like roasted beets, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, broccoli, or cauliflower.
- Chicken broth – Or substitute this for water, vegetable broth, or bone broth.
- Spices – A simple blend of paprika, sea salt, black pepper, and fresh thyme gives this meal prep bowl layers of simple and herbaceous flavors.
How to make gluten free chicken meal prep bowls
Keep lunch and dinner simple with these chicken and quinoa bowls. They’re easy to prepare in 4 simple steps:
Step 1: Season the washed and dried chicken breasts with olive oil, salt, black pepper, paprika, and thyme. Layer them onto a baking sheet and bake until cooked through
Step 2: Add the rinsed quinoa to a medium pot and cook until you hear a popping noise. Add the water or broth and a pinch of salt to the pot, cover with a lid, and cook until all of the water has been absorbed.
Step 3: Saute the carrots in a skillet until soft. Pour the frozen peas into the pan and cook until thawed and warmed through.
Step 4: Stir the quinoa and sauteed vegetables together in a bowl, then transfer a scoop to each of your meal prep containers. Add a baked chicken breast to each container, garnish with lemon or fresh herbs, and enjoy!
Tips and variations
- Chicken and rice meal prep – Swap the quinoa for wild rice, cilantro lime brown rice, cauliflower rice, or any type of rice you have at home.
- Mexican chicken and quinoa bowls – Make this bowl with Mexican rice and add refried beans, corn, and avocado for a Mexican-themed meal.
- Fried rice – Craving more flavor? Swap the plain quinoa for my healthy quinoa fried rice instead.
- Instead of chicken – Use shrimp, steak, tofu, or roasted vegetables as the protein in this bowl.
- Add a sauce – Drizzle roasted tomato sauce, ranch dressing, green goddess dressing, or homemade pesto sauce over top of these protein bowls for added flavor.
Make it a meal
This chicken and quinoa recipe isn’t just for meal prep! Serve the baked chicken and vegetable quinoa with honey roasted beets, roasted squash, and salad for a healthy family dinner. Don’t forget the gluten free apple cider donuts for dessert!
Storing meal prep bowls
Once the bowls are assembled in airtight containers, they can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat them in the microwave for 1 or 2 minutes.
Looking for more gluten free lunch ideas?
- Soy Free Asian Salmon
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- French Lentil and Chickpea Soup
- Sausage Butternut Squash Skillet
Gluten-Free Chicken Meal Prep Bowls
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- fresh thyme
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 1/4 cup water or chicken broth
- Wash and pat dry chicken. Season with oil, salt, pepper, paprika and thyme. Bake chicken at 400F degrees fro 22-25 minutes
- Meanwhile, add rinsed quinoa to a medium pot and cook for 5-7 minutes stirring frequently until quinoa starts to make a "pop" sound. Add water or broth and a pinch of salt. Cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile sauté carrots in a buttered skillet, on both sides until softened and golden. Season carrots with salt and pepper. When done, pour frozen peas into skillet and toss with cooked carrots.
- Add quinoa and vegetable to a bowl, stir to combine.
- Transfer quinoa and baked chicken to your meal prep bowl. Feel free to add any sauce of your choice, a slice of lemon or fresh herbs.