How fascinating is the fall. For spiritual reasons it is my favorite season, there is something about the changes in the air that makes me feel grounded. Like many of you, one of my favorite things to do in the fall is to visit local farms. Also having young children it can be a rather fun thing to do as many farms offers besides delicious fresh and farm-made foods, hay rides, mazes and patting animals. I personally look forward to all of these but particularly the farm fresh doughnuts.
The idea for this recipe was to to re-create the farm doughnuts that makes me drool every time I visit one. It is the one-time-a-year I will enjoy a warm doughnut and certainly waiting in long lines makes an excuse eat more then one 🙂
Making these doughnuts was really fun and surprisingly easy. Sometimes I resist making certain recipes because they seem a bit too complicated, specially baked foods. However as I stated above, farm fresh doughnuts are one of my favorite treats to eat so therefore the desire overcame the resistance… and how glad am I. I am a little bit conscious about sugars and certain ingredients that I try to avoid so I substituted the ingredients I could for “better” alternatives and I can assure you, this did not compromise the taste!
Homemade Baked Blueberry Doughnuts
- 1 cup organic blueberries fresh or frozen
- 2 1/2 cups of unbleached wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup organic milk
- 2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- For the coating you will need:
- 3 tbs melted butter
- 1 tbs coconut sugar
- organic cinnamon
- Spray two doughnut pans with coconut oil. Preheat oven to 425F.
- Rinse frozen blueberries in cold water until the water is clear.
- Place blueberries on layered paper towel to dry.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and salt)
- In another bowl mix the milk and vanilla extract.
- In a third large bowl mix butter, oil and sugar than add eggs one at the time.
- Slowly start to add in the dry mixture.
- Finally add the blueberries folding it in the batter.
- Scoop batter into doughnut pan. Bake at 350F for 10 min.
- For the coating melt the butter and pour it into a small plate. Mix coconut sugar and cinnamon in a second plate. Brush butter on the doughnuts and than dip it in coconut/ cinnamon mixture.