This is a long time coming recipe only because it’s my favorite thing to eat and I make it all the time. You know the “not special” concept because you eat something quite often but in actuality you eat it a lot because it’s that special ? … hopefully this explains my line of thought. In another words I am so excited to share my very favorite dish with everyone, the one I am always safe to order or make knowing I will get a pleasurable meal every time. If you can agree that shrimp + pasta = awesomeness then keep on reading …
As usual I like to choose my ingredients carefully so for this recipe I used a gluten free multigrain spaghetti, which is made with rice, quinoa and amaranth. In case you are wondering (No) it doesn’t taste like you are chewing on a shoe lace. The pasta is very rich and the sauce, spices and herbs add a nice tangy and delicious taste to this meal.
Although I love the restaurant style shrimp scampi, at home I like to add a few of my favorite flavors such as cilantro and make it a little spicy too. I also like to use little or no wine because I think a lot of it will take away some of the extra flavors I have added. Lastly you may have noticed some tomato pieces and that’s in honor of this abundant season of home grown veggies. I think a few slices of a ripe tomato add such an elegant and flavorful meaning to this dish, I can almost never pass on the chance.
Now that I have gone over the ingredients I selected for this recipe, it’s my duty to tell you what a wonderful meal this is and how easily you can make it, even on a week night. This is also great to serve on weekends or whenever you have guests or friends over. They will be impressed! With a tasty meal like this you will not need much to serve it with. But because eating greens is so important to my family, I tend to steam some broccoli and serve it as a side. Perhaps a veggie platter as an appetizer will be just enough.
Shrimp Scampi is a wonderful summer dish because it represents the best taste of the sea and the garden combined.
I really hope you enjoy this recipe as well as the sun and summer time, I think it’s flying by anyway… so don’t waste any more time and get out there!
Thanks for your visit and see you next week 🙂
- 1 pk multigrain spaghetti
- 1 lb large shrimp (peeled)
- 4 garlic cloves (mashed)
- 1 small onion (cut up really small)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 small ripe tomato (cut into thin slices)
- handful cilantro
- himalaya salt & pepper (to taste)
- ¼ cup wine (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the garlic, onions and tomato slices.
- Sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and sauté for 5 minutes. Turn heat to low.
- Add butter, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, cilantro, wine, salt and pepper.
- Saute for another 5-7 minutes or until the shrimp is light golden.
- Pour the shrimp and sauce over the spaghetti and serve immediately.