Instant Pot Oxtail (Low Carb Keto)
The delicacy and unique flavors of oxtail, meat that is falling off the bone cooked in an enhanced bone broth sauce, done easily and quickly in the instant pot!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2-3 lb oxtails
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup red wine (optional)
- 3 tbsp ketchup* low sugar/ keto
- 2 cups beef broth or bone broth keto friendly
- 2 bay leaves
- oregano and/or thyme fresh, small bundle
- salt and pepper, to taste
Season oxtail wtih salt and pepper on all sides
Turn isntant pot on saute mode. Heat oil until very hot. Add oxtails and saute for 3-4 minutes on one side, then turn them over and saute the other side. Transfer to a plate.
To that oxtail fat with brown bits, add onions and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
If using red wine, add that in now. Allow for it to reduce for 2 mins. Stir in tomato paste
Transfer the oxtails back to the pot. Season with oregano and thyme. Pour beef stock or bone broth into the pot and add in bay leaves.
Cancel sauté mode and turn venting knob on lock position. Cook on high pressure for 50 minutes. When done allow for 20 minutes of NPR
*sub for tomato paste if not keto
- To properly brown oxtails, the slow cooker (or pot) must be hot enough that the meat sizzles as soon as it’s placed inside. Let them cook undisturbed for 2 to 3 minutes or until a light crust forms on the surface. Use tongs to turn the meat and repeat on all sides.
- If you have any celery or carrots, finely dice and saute them with the onion and garlic to add extra depth.
- To thicken the red wine sauce, set your slow cooker to saute (or pour the liquid into a large saucepan) and bring it to a boil. Add a cornstarch or arrowroot slurry and cook, stirring often, until the liquid thickens into a rich sauce.
Calories: 664kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 76g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 249mg | Sodium: 587mg | Potassium: 255mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 188IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 10mg