Classic Pot Roast
This Classic Pot Roast includes all the crave-worthy elements that make pot roast a family favorite, including melt-in-your-mouth meat, potatoes, carrots, and a rich, warming broth. Cook it in the oven, Instant Pot, or slow cooker!
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 lb chuck roast, shoulder cut
- table salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour, GF flour, cassava flour* (see note of GF and Whole30)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 lb small yellow potatoes
- 1 lb carrots, chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh parsley or cilantro
- fresh thyme
Start by seasoning the beef well, on all sides with salt and pepper.
In a dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil. Brown roast on all sides to lock in moisture and flavor (about 15-min). Transfer to a plate.
To the grease left in the pot, add in onions and garlic and saute until onions are translucent (about 2-3 minutes). Then stir in the tomato paste, then flour. At this point the flour will absorb all the oil/ moisture. Add the wine, stir and allow the wine to reduce (1-2 minutes). Add beef broth, a few sprigs of fresh thyme and bay leaves.
Transfer the beef back to the pot. Add carrots and potatoes around the beef in the pot. Cover and cook in the oven at 350F degrees for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
When done, garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro and serve.
- Vegetables in pot roast - Potatoes and carrots are the classic vegetables you’ll find in pot roast but don’t feel like you need to limit yourself. Try adding chopped onion, pearl onions, parsnips, turnips, or rutabaga as well.
- Make pot roast gravy instead of red wine sauce - To do so, strain the broth mixture through a fine mesh sieve and pour the strained liquid back into the pot. Make a slurry by whisking the flour and water together, then add the slurry to the pot. Bring to a boil, whisking continuously until thickened.
- Gluten free pot roast gravy - Make a slurry with a gluten free thickening agent, like tapioca, potato, or arrowroot starch.
Calories: 640kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 17g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 156mg | Sodium: 566mg | Potassium: 1763mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 12706IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 7mg