Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs
Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs with Creamy Polenta is a gourmet meal that’s easy to make at home. Cooked in an herbaceous red wine and beef broth sauce and served over polenta, the ribs soak up layers of mouthwatering flavors in a fraction of the time it takes to slow cook.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 lb bone-in short ribs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 carrot shredded
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or red wine use coconut aminos for whole30
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour sub for GF flour for gluten-free + whole30
- 2 cup beef broth sub for bone broth wtih added collagen
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh thyme
- 1 lb carrots cut into large chunks
Season meat on all sides with a generous amount of salt and pepper
Turn pot on sauté mode and brown meat on all sides (about 3 minutes on each side = 12 minutes). Transfer short ribs to a plate
Add in onions, garlic and shredded carrots. Saute until onions are translucent and fragrant. Stir in tomato paste. Add coconut aminos or wine and let it reduce (3 minutes). Then stir in flour until mixture thickens (1 minute). Add broth and give it a good stir.
Transfer short ribs back to the pot. Add some fresh thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Toss in carrots and cover the pot. Cook on high pressure (HP) FOR 40 minutes when done allow for 15 minutes of natural pressure release (NPR).
Once you open the pot garnish with fresh cilantro, parsley or thyme and cover for just a minute or two. Serve over polenta, mashed potatoes or rice
- Take time browning the meat - Searing the meat caramelizes the surface, creates a delicious crust, and makes the meat extra moist and flavorful.
- Don’t overcrowd the pot - Leave space in between each short rib. You may need to brown the short ribs in batches.
- The natural release is important – The key is patience here. Naturally releasing the pressure for 15 minutes at the end will give you the softest and juiciest meat.
Calories: 517kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 1360mg | Potassium: 1406mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 28824IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 5mg