Skinny Lemon Chicken Piccata
Skinny Lemon Chicken Piccata is just as buttery and lemony as the classic, but is naturally gluten free and swaps the starchy sides for vegetables! Enjoy it as a quick 20-minute meal for family dinners or meal prep.
Servings: 4 people
- 4 unit skinless boneless chicken cutlets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup gluten-free flour + 1 tbsp
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 whole lemon, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp capers
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 pinch fresh parsley
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
Season chicken with salt and pepper then dredge in flour, coating both sides.
Heat oil in large skillet. Cook chicken on both sides until golden brown (about 3-5 minutes each side). Transfer chicken to a plate.
Remove excess fat from skillet. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minutes). Add wine to deglaze and scrape up any brown bits from the skillet. Add chicken broth and reserved 1 tbsp gluten-free flour. Stir to combine. Add lemon slices, capers and butter. Cook on medium low (about 5 minutes).
Transfer chicken back to skillet and season with fresh pasley. Serve with your choice of vegetable
Tips and variations
- How to butterfly chicken - If you’re working with large chicken breasts, they’ll need to be butterflied before being pounded and fried. To butterfly chicken, gently hold the breast in place with your palm and slice the meat horizontally down the center. It should open like a book when you’re done.
- How to pound down chicken - Once butterflied, place one breast at a time in a resealable plastic bag or between two pieces of plastic wrap. Pound the meat with a mallet or heavy rolling pin until it’s an even thickness.
- Don’t add lemon zest - I tried using both lemon slices AND lemon zest, and the result was too bitter and lemony.
Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 188mg | Potassium: 79mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 380IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1mg