Spicy Lentil Soup
This hearty and vegan Spicy Lentil Soup is loaded with red lentils, carrots, coconut milk, and chili peppers. Made in one-pot, this easy soup is perfect for weeknight dinners or meal prep!
Servings: 4 people
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup carrots, chopped or sliced
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- fresh cilantro
Seasonings and Spices
- 1/2 tsp sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- 1/4 tsp chili or cayenne
- 1 hot pepper of choice fresh or preserved
Heat oil in a large heavy pot and stir in onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until onion is translucent and fragrant (about 5 miutes)
Add tomato paste and all the spices and seasoning minus the hot pepper. Stir to combine.
Add the vegetable broth, lentils, carrots and pepper (of choice). Give it a good stir. Cover and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and coconut milk. Stir well. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.