This vegan and dairy-free carrot soup with curried spices and ginger is so flavorful and fresh! Sprinkle with toasted quinoa and pumpkin seeds for a pop of flavor.
Ever since I had my first child I have been in love with carrot soup. A few months after my daughter was born, we took her to Brazil for a long visit with my family. At the time she was starting to eat baby food and explore the diversity of flavors. Not being familiar with the safe or recommended baby food brands in Brazil, but knowing many farms in the area with fresh fruit and produce, I began to discover a better way to feed my baby girl.
So I started to play with different flavors and eventually combinations for my daughter to try. I remember carrot soup being "our" favorite! With the help of my mother we made our first carrots soup from all fresh, locally grown ingredients, and it was AWESOME!
We laugh to this day about how much we both still love carrot soup. She is now 13 years old and currently on strict TEEN- no-vegetable-diet and still cannot turn down a warm bowl of carrot soup. I try not to over serve it to keep it special for her, but the truth is she will eat it any day! Nowadays I add more flavors and spices, like this very recipe that I am sharing today.
This vegan and dairy-free carrot soup has amazing flavors from curried spices and ginger. The coconut milk makes it more filling and balances the flavors well. It's simply a delicious option for a light and yet filling meal.
What I love about this soup, especially this time of year, is that carrots are in season and therefore abundant, cheap and fresh.
Carrots are a cool-season crop that thrive in colder weather and can practically be grown anywhere with loose soil, so therefore a good option for beginners to grow in their garden.
Carrot Curried Soup With Toasted Seeds
- Carrot Curried Soup
- 1 lb carrots peeled and sliced into chunks
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot sliced
- 2 garlic cloves fresh, minced for better flavor
- 2 tablespoon ginger fresh, minced for better flavor
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- sea salt to taste
- Toasted Seeds Garnish
- ¼ cup quinoa
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add shallots, garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant.
- Sir in curry powder and salt.
- Add carrots and broth, increasing the heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the carrots are very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Process the soup in a blender.
- Return the soup to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in coconut milk.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and add lemon juice.
- For the toasted seeds, you need to heat a frying pan until you can feel the heat by placing your hand just above the pan.
- Add quinoa and stir constantly until it starts to pop.
- Add the pumpkin seeds and toast for another 2 minutes
- Turn the burner off and add the spices. Stir until well mixed.
- Sprinkle the seed over the soup and serve.
I hope you enjoy this soup recipe. If you love soup as much as I do, I recommend that you try my Skinny Vegetable Soup with other delicious aromatic spring ingredients.
I invite you to check out Ribas With Love on Instagram for a daily dose of all things food, inspirational, places I go and all the foods I eat and recommend, along with a generous preview of my weekly recipes.
See you next week!
This is a great recipe. Made it for the 1st time tonight. Next time I think I'll add condiments more common to curry like raisins, sweetened coconut and chutney.
Silvia Ribas says
Thanks for giving my recipe a try, and your valued feedback Cynthia! Hope to see you back soon 🙂