Pull up your sleeves and let’s clean up the fridge! Time to make the ultimate Instant Pot Leftover Vegetable Soup, packed with warming and nourishing winter vegetables!
INSTANT POT SUNDAY SERIES – WEEK 8
It’s IPSS week eight and I am as excited as ever!
When I first set out to make this family favorite soup, I quickly realized that I didn’t have the right ingredients and amounts in hand for the recipe. Oh how frustrating, right?!
It’s the end of a very busy week and thanks to the few extra holiday commitments, groceries just didn’t make the cut.
Trying to find all the ingredients at home for that recipe you’ve been craving for sounds more challenging then tackling your christmas shopping list >>in one day!
Not to worry!
One of the things I love to do when I am out of most things and need to quickly put a meal together, is to make left over soup. I am not talking about old food turning into soup, but rather a fresh new soup with a bunch of random ingredients put together. Like a fridge clean up!
Often times you will come up with combinations that are beyond fantastic… but I guess it’s safe to say that other times it might turn out terrible (it happens to be best of us!). However, this isn’t usually the case unless of course you dare devil decide to add in really weird (or spoiled) food.
I am happy to report that my original butternut squash soup, with not enough ingredients to feed a crew of seven, turned into a butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots and celery ridiculously AMAZING soup, nourishing and belly rubbing approved by 5 kids and 2 adults!
Plus my fridge is looking pretty clean, with no food going to waste!
Now, when you make my leftover vegetable soup >>remember<< it’s a leftover soup! So don’t worry if you only have 1 cup of butternut squash instead of 2, or all you have is red onions to replace the white onion. Don’t even worry if you don’t have celery or carrots. Use what you have available and take my recipe as a base for your own beautiful creations!
However, if you have all the ingredients OR want to make your soup exactly like mine. Let-me-tell-ya, you are in for a treat! It’s not often that all my four kids + friend eat and repeat a bowl of soup, but when they do watch out cuz it is goooooood!
Instant Pot Leftover Vegetable Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 med white onion roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups butternut squash cubed
- 3 large carrots sliced
- 2 cups sweet potato chunks, cubed or spirilized
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Turn Instant Pot on sauté mode. Add oil, onion and garlic, cook for 2-3 mins or until onion is translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients, one by one (except vegetable broth) stirring to combine. This process should take about 12-15 mins, just on sauté mode. If the pot get’s too hot, cancel sauté mode and proceed with next step. Basically you will want your vegetable to sauté until they start to soften.
- Add in vegetable broth, cover and switch valve to sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Release pressure, remove top.
- Using a immersion blender, blend vegetable until smooth. Add additional seasoning if desired.
- Serve with toasted croutons, toasted chickpeas, toasted coconut, olive oil and freshly ground pepper.