Dreamy POLENTA CRUST PIZZA topped with roasted asparagus, shiitake mushrooms, crispy bacon bites and romano cheese!
When dreams land on a plate, they pretty much look like this! Am I right?
So what is this crazy idea of polenta pizza? Well, I am convinced this innovative way to eat a pizza pie will give me the excuse to face-plant on my plate without looking rude. What do you think? If nothing else I can just say that I was trying to figure out what this was, hahaha…
But seriously, SERIOUSLY girl, you’ve got to try this polenta crust pizza!
I strongly believe that polenta doesn’t get all the love it deserves. Sure it can be sort of bland but add your magic touch (or mine!) and watch this love grow and branch out in so many ways.
You know that feeling when you try something for the first time AND LOVE IT, so now you want to have it all the time? Well, that pretty much describes my relationship with polenta at the moment.
If you haven’t tried yet, polenta is quite simple to make. It’s like a basic oatmeal recipe, in fact almost exactly like it. Some people like with with water, some like it cooked with milk (or both), some might add a little flavoring, either way all I am saying is THIS IS SIMPLE!
Much simpler then making pizza dough!
So you spread that beautiful polenta onto a baking sheet and top with garlicky roasted veggies, crispy bacon and romano cheese. Then you devour it because it’s wicked delicious, gorgeous and smells so yummy.
This polenta crust pizza with roasted veggies is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s very filling, incredibly easy to make and super fun too!
Polenta Crust Roasted Veggie Pizza
- 1 cup corn grits or polenta
- 1 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 cup milk, whole
- 1 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 cups shiitake mushroom
- 12 stalks asparagus
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 tbsp romano cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- Pre-heat oven to 400F degrees. Line a medium size baking sheet with parchment paper
- Trim the ends of the asparagus and place them in a bowl. Also add in the shiitake mushrooms. Season with oil, salt and pepper and mix in the garlic. Stir to coat.
- Place the asparagus and shiitake mushroom on the lined baking sheet. Be sure they are spread out to get nice and crispy, not soggy.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn half way through and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes. When done, transfer the asparagus and shiitake mushrooms to a plate and set aside. KEEP OVEN ON!
- Meanwhile, bring the water and milk to a quick boil. Add in corn grits, butter, and a pinch of salt. Whisk for 5-7 minutes continuously until thickened.
- At the same time, pan fry the bacon quickly but don’t over cook it as it is still going in the oven! When done cut into bite size pieces.
- Pour the polenta onto a lined baking sheet (the same one you used to roast the veggies). Spread to form a 1/2 inch thick polenta crust.
- Top with roasted asparagus, shiitake mushroom and bacon. Season with fresh thyme and romano cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes. When done, add more cheese and fresh pepper. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into individual pieces. Serve
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.