MEGA nourishing Black-Eyed Pea Salad with powerhouse ingredients such as quinoa and kale, topped with roasted chickpeas for that crunchiness finish and lightly seasoned with a flavorful avocado oil and oregano dressing!
Oh hello friends, long time no see… Happy New Year! Are you excited for twenty eighteen? Have you taken the time to set your goals for the year? Hey, if you have penciled down food/ health you are at the right place!
Should I call you my accountability partner? 😉 Oh you already have one? Girl you are rocking 2018!
Basically it all boils down to this; GITK is the place where you will find all the superfood and mega nourishing recipes that are easy to make and delicious to eat.
In 2018, I will be bringing even moooore garden foods to the table with gorgeous colorful dishes that are appealing to your eyes and satisfying to your belly. And lastly, I am going to show you how to incorporate the not-so-appealing foods into our diet without even tasting it!!
Let’s do this!
Last year I started making a few swaps in my diet in hopes to get more energy throughout the day, feel supported and focused, maintain a healthy weight, have beautiful glowing skin and end my hormonal chaos. ALL WITH FOOD AND EXERCISE!
The good news is that I found the right
diet –>formula (not fond of the D word), to achieve all of my goals and more! I felt awesome, like never before! But then the end-of-year stressaton came crashing in and slowly but surely I found myself drawn in to the overwhelm of the season (I shared more details about my recent struggles on a recent Instagram post). However, I am happy to report that all is well now and I am more excited then ever to regain my powers.
Are you in? GOOD!
Here is how I plan to achieve my healthy eating goals for 2018, so if you are in with me these are some thing you should expect;
- we will be eating the most delicious healthy foods and you better believe it!
- and become PROS at meal prepping
- eating lots of salads (and loving every bite!)
- eating foods that are ALIVE! (wow, this sound so scary!)
- carefully choosing the type of processed foods to eat, if any
- drinking a ton of water
- eating nuts like human size squirrels
- moving our body
- loving and embracing ourselves
- having fun!
I hope you are as excited as I am! To get started I am sharing this amazing black-eyed pea salad with powerhouse ingredients such as quinoa and kale. This is a full meal type of salad friends, how easy is that? technically all your needs are covered, from protein to carbs to greens and more!
I topped this salad with roasted chickpeas, for our healthy swap of the day, and lightly mixed in an avocado oil based dressing, very simple yet flavorful. Often times the dressing can overpower the fresh flavors of a salad, so I most often try to keep the dressing simple, basic with just enough flavor and healthy oils to soften the texture of the raw ingredients and add a bit of flavor.
Black-Eyed Pea Quinoa + Kale Salad
- 1 can black-eyed peas
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cup kale roughly chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup olives I used garlic stuffed olives
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 whole lemon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 pinch salt + pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup roasted chickpeas
- In a small saucepan boil 1 3/4 cup water. When the water is boiling add in quinoa. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper if desired, turn heat to medium low, half-cover the saucepan and cook for about 12 minutes or until the water has been completely absorbed and quinoa is cooked.
- Meanwhile, chop up the kale and rinse it in cold water. Slice the grape tomatoes and olives in half, and rinse the black-eyed peas using a mash strainer.
- When the quinoa is cooled bring the salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix the dressing oil and juice from 1/2 lemon with oregano, salt and pepper and pour over the salad. Mix it up to combine. Top with roasted chickpeas