Baking homemade pastries and pies has never been this easy! Thanks to this quick’n easy multipurpose pastry puff. This fluffy and buttery pastry is the perfect base for many sweet or savory recipes. You must try!
Regardless of whether you are a food blogger or simply like to cook, there are a few recipes that will literally save your life! This includes a handful of recipes and techniques that once learned will forever change the way you cook. In this case, for me, it has opened doors to create the most mouthwatering and eye popping dessert recipes that otherwise I would not have attempted to do.
Leave it to Nana to bake the pie! … Well, this may no longer be the case although Nana’s pies are ridiculously delicious. What once was an endless process of rolling and refrigerating, confining the individual in the kitchen space, only to make a truly homemade pie (granted, in the end it was all worth it!). It is now a 15-minute easy process with the same amazing results! And let’s face it, with an endless process like that, even Nana switched to buying frozen pastry from the grocery store.
I found this recipe from Christina Lane from Dessert For Two. Christina is incredibly talented and makes amazing food which makes it impossible not to trust. The idea of making a pastry puff in only 15 minutes sounded irresistible to say the least.
What I love about this recipe besides the lack of need for extensive baking skills (Brazilians don’t bake, we stick to picanha and beans!). But seriously, I love how I can apply this pastry as a base for many of my favorite recipes! Quiche for instance, I looooove quiche and would n-e-v-e-r think to make one. I’ve had three (três) quiches since this pastry recipe!! And pies… oh you just wait to see… 🙂
Much like my Easy Homemade Pizza Dough recipe, once I mastered the technique to make the perfect dough, my culinary options largely expended. I am not just talking about pizza, which in itself opens an invitation to many amazing creations, but there are also so many other great recipes you can create using this dough as a base, such as flatbreads, stromboli and fried dough.
With these two great base recipes in hand, I feel like I am in the clouds. Hey, don’t judge!… I am a foodie and nothing makes me more happy than to cook amazing foods for my family. I don’t mean to get emotional here, but feeding is my deal and makes my heart jump.
Quick’n Easy Multipurpose Pastry Puff
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 tbsp high quality butter I used Organic Valley Cultured Pasture Butter
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup cold water
- In a medium bowl add the flour and salt and stir to combine
- Cut up the butter into very small pieces and add to the flour
- Work the butter into the flour with a fork to try and incorporate the butter into the flour as much as you can. This will be a very crumbly mixture and you will still see pieces of butter. The end result at this point should be pea size chunks of butter at best.
- Next you need to create a hole in the middle of the flour and butter mixture and add cold water
- Combine this mixture to form a rough dough and shape into a square
- Flour the counter/ table/ work surface and place the square shaped dough
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle and fold it in three parts (bottom third and top third over the middle). Turn it by a quarter and repeat the rolling and folding process. Sprinkle with flour as needed, if dough becomes sticky. Do this about 6 – 8 times
- When done, wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate or freeze any extra pastry dough.