Garlic Parmesan Butternut Squash; give this low-carb classic side dish a delicious twist and a whole lot of flavor!
Butternut Squash is delicious winter vegetable that is much appreciated for its sweet, nutty and mild flavor. I personally love making Butternut Squash Soup, roasting it for dinner, adding to Beef Stews or making Squash Boats. But it wasn’t until recently that decided to take the same roasted butternut squash recipe that I often make and turn it into a classic mashed butternut squash, only loaded with flavor and a wonderful texture.
Sometimes squash recipes can be rather blend and unappealing. This recipe takes the classic butternut squash to the next level, by flavoring it with roasted garlic, parsley as well as parmesan cheese. Keeping the skin is key to adding a nice texture to this classic dish.
My family loves this mashed butternut squash side dish and I know yours will love it too!
- 1 whole butternut squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt + pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley
- Pre-heat oven to 375F degrees.
- Wash the butternut squash thoroughly in soapy water and scrub using a vegetable brush (this is important as we will be eating the skin!)
- Cut the butternut squash in half (the long way) and clean the seeds out. Place it on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with oil, salt and pepper then place the garlic cloves and fresh parsley in the cavity for flavoring. Bake for 45 mins. Don't worry if the squash isn't soft and mushy, the blender will do the rest of the job.
- Cut the squash in large chunks and place it in the blender, along with the roasted garlic and parsley. Add the parmesan cheese and Pulse for about 1 minute (if using a Vitamix) or until it has reached a pureed consistence.
- Transfer to a bowl, sprinkle with more cheese and parsley and serve as a delicious and healthy side dish.