Quinoa & Spinach Delicata Squash (Vegan + Gluten-free); roasted delicata squash loaded with quinoa, spinach, pecans and cranberries. A deliciously wholesome and hearty dish you can enjoy all season.
Ever since I made this Garlicky Creamy Alfredo Sauce my family and I have been indulging on some seriously delicious Pasta dinners. While it all sounds good, for me too many simple-carb meals comes with a cost. Luckily there are plenty of options to fuel your carb-craving selves with more than just filling meals, but nourishing and delicious too.
I am mostly implying to the squash family, which is a lighter and incredibly delicious option for those who are on a low carb diet, plant based or just seeking balance and nutrition.
There are so many fascinating, fun to pick out and tasty squash types out there, you just might want to try a few. In this recipe I am using a Delicata Squash, but you can easily substitute with a Spaghetti Squash, as these two have fairly the same stringy-like consistence.
I love roasting squash because you can kind of set and forget, making this an easy option for a weeknight meal. Additionally, I find this method more flavorful and easier to handle since you can roast a squash as a whole and cup it afterwards, when softer.
However, since I made this Sweet Potato Quinoa Boat, my roasting squash game is at a whole new league.
…The loaded squash/ sweet potato boat type of league. This is like the vegetable version of one-pot meals that everyone loves, because it’s got everything you need in one place, easy to prepare and clean up, it’s incredibly delicious and kinda fancy too 🙂
Speaking of which… fancy meals is all we are about during the Holidays, are we? Let me assure you that this gorgeous Delicata Squash loaded with delicious quinoa, fresh spinach, pecans and cranberries, will look fantastic on your table this Holiday!
So let’s grab this easy recipe and start enjoying this best-of-the-season vegetable right now! Don’t forget to take a photo of your Garden in the kitchen inspired recipes and tag #GITK #gardeninthekitchen on Instagram. Below are a few other vegetable based recipes I selected for you, take a look and please SHARE these yummy recipes with friends and family!!
- 1 Delicata or Spaghetti Squash, any size
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pecan, chopped
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400F degrees. Cut the squash is half (long way) and scoop up the seeds. Pour the olive oil over the squash and add salt and pepper to taste. Wrap the squash in foil and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa in vegetable broth instead of water for more flavor.
- Once the squash is done, carefully remove the foil and begin to "carve out" the squash with a fork (picture 3). Don't go to deep otherwise you will break through the skin. Add the squash insides to a glass bowl.
- Roughly chop up the spinach and add to the squash bowl. Also add the quinoa and butter and begin to mix it together using two forks (picture 4). Finally add the pecan and cranberries and fold.
- Scoop up the squash and quinoa mix into the squash skin. Add more pecans and cranberries on top, garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley, season with salt and pepper and serve.
[easyazon_infoblock align=”none” identifier=”B005MMNBBQ” locale=”US” tag=”ribwitlov0c-20″]