This Apple Sage Stuffing is incredibly easy to make, super moist and flavorful with a touch of crunchiness and the warm aroma of sage.
Just like my Rustic Apple Sausage Stuffing, this recipe is packed with flavor and texture. Your guests will be going back for seconds!
When it comes to a classic dish like stuffing, my take is >>less is more!
No friends, I don’t mean a smaller serving 🙂 if anything it would be the opposite! I mean less of a twist. Stuffing is a classic for a reason right? So let’s leave it to the tradition and keep on enjoying the good stuff.
I do however, LOVE love looooove adding apples and sage to my stuffing because it adds a sweet crunchy bite with an aromatic flavor that is like no other. Although I have tried numerous ways to make stuffing, THIS one is a my favorite!
What I love about this recipe (and I know you will too!)...
This Apple Sage Stuffing is super light yet flavorful just the way it should be. You can make this recipe from beginning to end on the stove top but you do have the option for browning the stuffing in the oven, for a touch of color and texture.
The apples add a sweet crunchy note while the warm aroma of sage will soften your senses. I always leave the apple skin on for a touch of color and to cut down on prep time, but be sure to buy organic apples if you plan on eating the skin.
Overall, this Apple Sage Stuffing recipe is a delicious and beautiful dish, perfect for Thanksgiving or to add to your Fall menu. It’s an easy recipe and totally accomplishable whether you are trying to keep things simple and short on a busy Thanksgiving day or to make on a weeknight. I served this pre-thanksgiving apple sage stuffing paired with an oven roasted chicken and it was fabulous! A truly delicious meal for the whole family!
Apple Sage Thanksgiving Stuffing
- 1 pk 10oz stuffing mix
- 1 cup celery sliced then chopped into small pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 honey crisp apples cubed (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage finely chopped (dry sage works too!)
Option 1 - Oven Stuffing (browned and crispier bread toppings!)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F degrees. Lightly spray an oven safe baking dish and set aside.
- In a large casserole melt butter. Add in celery, bell pepper and apples. Garnish with salt and pepper and sauté for about 5 mins. Add in chicken broth and sage, stir to combine.
- Remove from heat, add in stuffing mix and gently fold to combine. Transfer to the baking dish and bake to 15 mins.
Option 2 - Stove Top Instructions
- In a large casserole melt butter. Add in celery, bell pepper and apples. Garnish with salt and pepper and sauté for about 5 mins. Add in chicken broth, sage and stuffing mix. Fold to combine. Turn heat to medium low, cover an cook for 13-15 mins or until preferred doneness.
If you make this recipe please snap a pic and share on Instagram using hashtag #gardeninthekitchen and don’t forget to watch my stories for a sneak view on what’s fresh and new!