This delicious and nutritious green salad packed with fresh and seasonal veggies, healthy fats and wild tuna is the perfect summer dish! But more than that, this Green Tuna Salad is an easy way to watch your weight without feeling hungry all the time.
This post has been sponsored by Awaken180° Weightloss but all opinions stated are my own.
Table of Contents
Sometimes when we talk about adding more seafood to our diet, we often forget about this convenient and inexpensive option; tuna.
Tuna is very high in protein and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, but low in overall fat. Tuna doesn’t contain any carbohydrates, fiber, or sugar, making it a great option for anyone including those who are on a weightloss journey.
As a tuna loving foodie, I can eat it straight from the can or sometimes I’ll snack on tuna cucumber “tostada” (hint; the cucumber slices replaces the toast!), drizzled with some olive oil, freshly grounded pepper, cilantro and a drop of tabasco sauce.
Other times I use an avocado half as a tuna boat, loaded with chopped veggies and topped with everything seasoning!
Talking about this is making me hungry 🙂
I find that tuna paired with fresh veggies gives the food a great balance of flavor and good texture, and allows you to create a very tasty and satisfying meal, while still focusing on your health goals.
However, this Green Tuna Salad is my all time favorite! Tuna tossed in a fresh green salad that is full of crunchy greens like lettuce and cucumbers, sweet bell peppers, radishes, avocado, onions and a generous touch of fresh herbs (cilantro and dill, but you can add your own).
This is a fabulous meal for this time of year because all the veggies are in season, they are fresh, most nutritious and usually at a better price point.
about this recipe
This Green Tuna Salad has been created in accordance with Awaken180° Weighloss program. The program gives you access to over 1,000 recipes like Green Tuna Salad and this Sheet Pan Chicken and Veggies.
If you are not familiar with Awaken180° Weightloss, this is a premium weight loss service with personalized, science-based nutrition plans and ongoing 1:1 coaching. They make losing weight easy with quick, long-lasting results.
To learn more and sign up for the program visit their website at Awaken180° Weightloss
Get the support you need through the Awaken180° Weightloss program to claim your health back, and start feeling your best!
Fun Fact: did you know that Awaken180° Weightloss is the official weight loss program of the Boston Red Sox!
tips on how to make a fabulous salad at home
- shop for your favorite greens and veggies abundantly. Choose organic and local whenever possible.
- when ready to build your salad, place all your awesome veggies on the counter or work surface.
- wash wash wash (yes, triple wash everything!)
- get excited! you are about to nourish your body with live foods that are packed with phytonutrients (phyto = plant)
- add a little bit of everything to your salad. The key to a great salad is having a variety or colors, flavors and textures. Keep things exciting!
- make a delicious and simple homemade dressing, this way you can control the ingredients that goes in.
- add your choice of protein; tuna, a piece of grilled fish or chicken, a few sautéed shrimp or some hard boiled eggs!
- use fresh herbs abundantly! this is also key to a tasty and healthy salad.
- season lightly. I love adding a pinch of sea salt or any coarse salt for a crunchy salty bite and freshly grounded pepper.
- dig in!
If you make this Green Tuna Salad, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a start rating! Also, don’t forget to tag GITK on Instagram for a special shutout and/or a chance of being featured in my newsletter!
Green Tuna Salad
- 5-6 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 can wild albacore tuna
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 5-6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 2 mini cucumbers, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- sea salt and freshly grounded pepper, to taste
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Add a layer of the butter lettuces leaves to the salad plate.
- In a large bowl add in the cubed avocado, sliced radishes and cucumber, chopped bell pepper, onion and cilantro. Give it a toss to combine. Then add to salad plate. Top with the wild tuna.
- In a small bowl whisk the salad dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over the tuna salad and give it a quick mix. Feel free to season to taste and add more fresh herbs like cilantro or dill
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.