Loaded Sweet Potato and Cheesy Meatballs; a deliciously low-carb easy dinner for the whole family!
Ditching the white carb stuff isn’t the easiest task but it sure looks a lot more accomplishable when you ‘replace’ it with something so incredibly tasty and satisfying.
My love for white carbs goes as far back as I can remember. Particularly breads and pasta. In fact, one of my good high school friends used to trick me to come over by suggesting that her mom was making bread haha… Aw, the good ol’ days, before white carbs became such scary monsters!
For all who is concerned, and that’s probably just me 🙂 I cannot ditch the white carbs completely but I have been able to easily make adjustments. The best way to do so, is to find options that you actually like, such as -Mr. Sweet Potato here, and load it up with meatballs and cheeeeeese… oh yes, because cheese makes everything impossibly irresistible!
This sweet potato and cheesy meatballs combo works really well! In addition to a very nutritional and balanced meal, you get 100% fulfillment and satisfaction, so you won’t be missing all that white carb stuff after all.
This recipe is fairly easy to make, all you need is a sweet potato the size of you hunger ? (mine is always large) and stuff a few juicy meatballs in there. Aw yeah, about the meatballs… they are pretty awesome Italian style meatballs, so feel free to double the recipe so you have plenty of meatballs leftovers!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 cups or 15oz can tomato sauce
- fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved
- ½ lb ground beef
- ¼ lb ground veal
- ¼ lb ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- fresh parsley
- salt + pepper to taste
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- Wash and scrub the sweet potato skin. Slice it in half (long way), wrap in foil and bake at 400F degrees for 45 minutes, meanwhile work on the meatballs.
- In a large bowl bring the meats together. Add all the ingredients and mix to combine.
- Once the mixture is nice and uniform start shaping the meat into 4 - 6 meatballs.
- In a frying pan add the olive oil. Bring this to a medium heat and add the meatballs. Pan fry the meatballs on all sides (about 2-3 minutes each side) then transfer the meatballs to a pot and add the sauce. Cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- When the sweet potato is done, carefully remove from oven. Using a fork, dig out two spots on each sweet potato half to place the meatballs but don't discard any of that yummy sweet potato, simply pile it back on once the meatballs are set in place.
- Garnish with freshly shaved parmigiano-reggiano cheese and serve.
Other Delicious Sweet Potato Recipes To Try!