These crunchy and flavorful pita chips are delicious served alongside a tasty bowl of creamy hummus. Top with feta cheese and pomegranate for an easy and festive party appetizer!
It’s party season, woohoo!? time to show off our best cooking skills (which isn’t always the complicated stuff) and make dishes that are totally crowd magnets, tasty, flavorful and the best part -not complicated.
YOU WILL NEED THIS TOO!!
Truth be told we are very weak Beings when it comes to certain aspects of food/eating. It has been proven over and over, and behind a complicated scientific explanation that you are never going to hear from me, we humans have little to no power when it comes to these two culprits; smells and sounds!
It’s because of that crunchy explosion after we bite into our favorite chips that we literally face plant into the bag, only to realize moments later… Oops, it’s all gone!
How many times has this happened to you?
Oh, and here is my favorite… when you walk outside of a restaurant and that intoxicating smell of fried onion pulls you in like gravity! I have friends in the restaurant business tell me their dirty little secret. They would throw raw onions on the grill/ cooking surface and fry them up just so the smell would attract customers!
Holy cow, right!!?
Well, while we are not going to be throwing onions on our grill and misleading our guests, we are going to be making them very VERY happy with this MEGA crunchy and flavorful pita chips platter! (got the onion powder in y’all!)
I know this because every-time I make these pita chips, 10 minutes into the cooking you can just watch my family gravitates towards the kitchen. Hahaha, it’s kinda funny! We love this recipe served alongside my homemade Creamy Hummus but you can certainly serve with your dip of choice.
Because this is a recipe that you will want to make all year round, and all the time (I know this for sure!), you can change the topping depending on the occasion/ season. Since the Holidays are just around the corner, I topped with crumbled feta cheese and pomegranate, however this can easily be customized depending on what you have available.
I bet these pita chips will taste amazing on a nachos platter!
Spicy Pita Chips Party Appetizer
- 8 mini pita rounds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 slice fresh pomegranate
- fresh rosemary
- sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400F degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking oil and set aside.
- Place pita rounds on top of each other, maybe 2-3 at a time and cut into triangles. First slice the pita rounds in half, then each half get’s sliced in half again, and again once more. There will be 8 triangles in total per pita round. Proceed until you are done slicing the pita bread into triangles (see image above).
- In a small glass bowl combine the olive oil, paprika, and onion powder. Brush this oil mix on both sides of the pita bread and place seasoned pita on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes turning sides half way through.
- Meanwhile slice a whole pomegranate in half, turn cut side down over a bowl and hit the back side with a wooden spoon or heavy utensils. The seeds will easily fall out (see image above)
- When ready to serve arrange pita chips on a serving dish, top with feta cheese and pomegranate seeds, fresh rosemary and serve alongside a delicious bowl of creamy hummus.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.