The ultimate comfort food, this 20-minute tomato gnocchi soup is loaded with butternut squash, fresh spinach, gnocchi and garnished with thyme and shaved gruyere cheese.
Make no mistake, this Tomato Gnocchi Soup is the ULTIMATE comforting heart warming soup you will ever try!
Sounds like an inflated statement? Ya, I thought so too!
For years I have been making soups, anything from Bean Mushroom Soups, to Chicken Wild Rice Soup, Butternut Squash Soup, French Onion Soup and Chili, but never a tomato based soup simply because I thought that would be too tomato-y, single flavored… and not good!
I was super skeptical when I set out to make my first tomato based soup, but WOW I was wrong! This Tomato Gnocchi Soup is not only multi-flavored delicious, very easy and quick to make, quite filling, mega nourishing and therefore the PERFECT soup!
how to make a creamy tomato soup
Start by sautéing the onion and garlic, incorporating the spices and seasonings right in the beginning, creating a fragrant flavorful base for the tomato sauce or canned tomatoes, whichever you want to use.
Broth is added along with the remaining ingredients which in this case are; gnocchi and butternut squash. If you are to add whole greens such as broccoli, peas or green beans, this is the time to do so. Fresh leafy greens are best to be added in the end.
When all is cooked you add in heavy cream or milk, you can certainly use a dairy-free option such as coconut milk and grated cheese. You may not see grated cheese as part of the ingredient list in many tomato soup recipes but trust me, this will make the soup so much tastier!
While this Tomato Gnocchi Soup is amazing as it is, it’s also a flexible recipe. For instance you can use tortellini instead of gnocchi, potatoes instead of butternut squash or no potatoes at all. You can add more greens like broccoli and change up the spinach for kale or collard greens. Make it your own!
If you make this tomato gnocchi soup be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Thanks a bunch!
Tomato Gnocchi Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion or shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 25 oz tomato sauce (pasta sauce)
- 28 oz vegetable broth
- 12 oz gnocchi
- 2 cups frozen butternut squash, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk, (coconut milk for dairy-free)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, (optional if dairy-free)
- fresh spinach, a little or a lot
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp each, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- In a large soup pot heat oil and add in onion and garlic. Sauté for about 2 minutes until fragrant and onions are translucent. Add in spices (oregano, onion and garlic powder) and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomato sauce, vegetable broth, gnocchi and butternut squash. Give it a quick stir and top with a sprig of fresh thyme. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the butternut squash has softened.
- Turn heat off and add in cream/ milk, parmesan cheese and fresh spinach. Stir to combine. Cover and allow the spinach to wilt before serving (2-3 minutes).
- Remove thyme sprig and serve with fresh ground pepper and parmesan cheese.