Healthy and Hearty Instant Pot Chickpea Stew made with few ingredients and flavors you won’t resist!
If you own an Instant Pot and you are crazy obsessed with it (like me), then you’re probably feeling somewhat guilty for trading it for the grill all summer long. Worry not, it probably needed a rest. Dust it off and wipe your guilty tear because INSTANT POT season is here!
While a lot of you have become quite the experts and even earning the title of “pot heads”, I often run into a bunch of folks who are rather frustrated and can’t figure out this thing. So I decided to make something super easy, sooooo easy, even my child can do!
This Instant Pot Chickpea Stew is hands down the eeeeeasist recipe I’ve even made! Oh, and it’s so tasty too!!
Looking for other tasty INSTANT POT recipes?
Find them all here:
First of all, this Instant Pot Chickpea ‘Stew’ is made with very few ingredients. Sometimes a long list of ingredients can be intimidating, so take this bit of weight off your shoulder.
But before we go any further can we just clarify something…
What’s the difference between SOUP and STEW?
While soup and stew are based on the same foundation, one thing sets them apart. Soups have much more liquid, and stews usually contain much less.
If you never cooked with raw chickpeas before, don’t freak out and DON’T use canned chickpeas. It won’t work for this recipe and I pinky promise it will be easy.
DO, soak the chickpeas overnight! Got it? It will reduce the amount of cooking time dramatically!
You are basically making this Instant Pot Chickpea Stew with two ingredients (at first). Chickpeas and diced tomatoes!
I actually used a homemade diced tomato sauce with tomatoes from my garden. Quite a treat! I recommend you choose a sauce that has added flavor like this one. Or find it in the list of ingredients below.
When the chickpea is done cooking and all pressure has been naturally released, you add in the kale and season to taste. So simple!!
Toppings are always a must, so anything from extra seasoning (ex. red pepper flakes, fresh herbs) to grated parmesan cheese and muffin crumbs are absolutely delicious!
Instant Pot Chickpea Stew
- 1 lb dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 3 14oz cans diced tomato sauce, with added flavor
- 3 cups fresh kale, cored and chopped
- 1 pinch sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Soak overnight 12-24 hours. If during this time the level of water go down, add more water enough to cover the chickpeas.
- The next day, drain and rinse chickpeas. Add to instant pot. Also add cans of diced tomato sauce and give it a quick stir. Cover the Instant pot and turn venting valve into lock position. Cook on high pressure for 16 minutes. When done, allow for natural pressure release (NPL).
- When all pressure has been release, unlock the lid open and add chopped kale. Season with salt and pepper to taste and finally add in red pepper flakes. Stir to combine, make sure the kale is submersed. Place cover back on and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- When serving, be sure to add flavorful toppings such as herbs, grated parmesan cheese, muffin crumbs or whatever you like.