This Instant Pot Sausage Chickpea Stew is a delicious health and nutritious one pot complete meal!
It’s no secret that one pot meals are the best thing to have around. It’s easy to cook, convenient to serve and little clean up to do. The next best thing is making sure this one pot meal is also nourishing and delicious in no particular order.
If that’s what you are looking I believe you just found yourself some dinner! This Instant Pot Sausage Chickpea Stew has all the delicious flavors, texture and sausage! Who doesn’t love sausages right!
When I first made my original Instant Pot Chickpea Stew which is a vegetarian recipe, I became completely obsessed with it for all the right reason, but at times I felt like it was missing something like a good sausage and a bigger explosion of flavors. Like the kind that will make your eyes grow wide and your mouth mumble yummmm!
However, because the original Instant pot Chickpea Stew was so good I barely wanted to mess up with something that was perfect to begin with. While there are many similarities between these two recipes, there are also enough differences that I decided to keep them separate.
My vegetarian friends will be grateful for that! And you can decide which of these will your family enjoy best.
Instant Pot Sausage Chickpea Stew
- 1 lb dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 28 oz diced tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 whole chicken sausages, sliced
- 3 cups fresh kale, cored and chopped
- 2 leaves bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 pinch sea salt + pepper, to taste
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Soak overnight 12-24 hours. If during this time the level of water go down, add more water enough to cover the chickpeas.
- The next day, drain and rinse chickpeas. Add to instant pot. Also add cans of diced tomato sauce, chicken broth, sausage and seasonings. Cover the Instant pot and turn venting valve into lock position. Cook on high pressure for 16 minutes. When done, allow all the pressure to release naturally
- When all pressure has been release, unlock the lid open and add chopped kale. Stir to combine, make sure the kale is submersed. Place cover back on and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- When serving, be sure to add flavorful toppings such as herbs, grated parmesan cheese, muffin crumbs or whatever you like.