This Protein Power Salad Jar has the perfect combination of nourishing, fulfilling and hydrating ingredients for a tasty and balanced summer meal.
When I was first introduced to the concept of a salad compiled in a jar, ready to serve, perfect for storing -I was mind blown! All of a sudden my dust collecting pack of Mason jars got assigned to an exciting purpose!
Don’t take me wrong, I love my jar collection which is often displayed in many of my recipes such as this Rhubarb Berry Jam (cute mini jars) and Homemade Enchilada Sauce (pictured below), though this adds a whole new meaning, and maybe yet another reason to eat more salad!
Now that summer is here, my ideal menu includes mostly cold servings, raw or lightly cooked/ steamed and plenty of hydrating ingredient like cucumbers, lettuce and fruits in general.
When putting together this Protein Power Salad Jar I wanted to exclusively focus on these types of ingredients as well as fulfilling and nourishing foods to give my body sustenance and energy. That’s when the triple protein -hence protein power- comes in.
Meatless Source of Protein?
Living with a protein driven man (a.k.a Mr. Protein), has challenged me to seek outside the meat market, although he would happily consume animal protein 3+ times per day. I however believe that a more balanced diet is the key to great health. Beans, Quinoa and Chickpeas are three of my absolute favorite plant based protein sources, which are all included in this tasty salad.
Now, this is the type of salad that fills you up (in a good way!) and give you that nice sustainable energy that lasts all day with a side punch of hydration, which is so important during the summer months.
This Protein Power Salad Jar has the perfect combination of nourishing, fulfilling and hydrating ingredients for a tasty summer meal. Pack and store in your fridge until ready to eat. As for the salad dressing, I made a simple avocado oil dressing with flavorful oregano to keep things nice and light, yet delicious.
Protein Power Mason Jar Salad
- 2 cups of mixed greens lettuce of choice
- 2 eggs boiled
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 cup pickling cucumber quartered
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1/2 cup heirloom quinoa quinoa of choice
- 1 tsp vegetable base paste or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can black beans
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small pot add in vegetable broth or dissolve 1 tsp vegetable base in 1 cup hot water. Add quinoa and cook on medium low heat until all the liquid is absorbed. Allow to cool off.
- In a second small pot boil the eggs for 8-10 minutes. When done, remove, rinse and peel the shells off. Slice in half and let it cool down.
- Meanwhile rinse the beans and chickpeas, set aside
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small jar
- Cut up all cucumber, tomatoes and shred carrots
Assembling the Salad Jar
- *This recipe will fill two 3-cups wide mouth mason jars. Add half the ingredients in the following order (heavier cooked ingredients first!); beans, chickpeas, quinoa, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, egg halved and mixed greens. Then fill up the second jar.
- When ready to eat, pour dressing in the jar and eat up!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.