This hearty and easy Sausage Butternut Squash Skillet comes together in 30 minutes. Packed with butternut squash, apples, and Italian sausage, your whole family is sure to love the fun fall flavors!
Butternut squash is one of my favorite fall ingredients! It’s vibrant, flavorful, nourishing, and pairs well with both sweet and savory ingredients. My Butternut Squash Turmeric Soup, Roasted Brussels and Butternut Squash Kale Salad, Instant Pot Butternut Squash Risotto, and of course this Sausage Butternut Squash Skillet make for hearty and comforting meals that will always warm you up on the chilliest of days.
This one-pot sausage and butternut squash skillet is an easy and quick dinner that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Serve it on its own for a healthy, hearty, and naturally gluten free weeknight dinner or pair it with an Apple Cranberry Frisée Salad and Wild Rice Soup for a holiday feast or dinner party.
Nicely spiced with a bit of red onion, garlic, paprika, sage, salt, and pepper, this simple fall recipe will fill your home with wonderful aromas as it simmers on the stove. Trust me, no one will be able to resist piling their plate full of this sweet and savory squash skillet!
Sausage and squash skillet ingredients
- Italian sausages – Italian sausages are extra herby, savory, and spicy compared to other kinds of sausages because they’re made with chili flakes, fennel seeds, and anise. If you’d like to avoid the spice, use kielbasa or chicken sausages instead.
- Butternut squash – The nutty and sweet star of this dish! Acorn squash or sweet potatoes also work well.
- Apples – Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, pink lady, fuji, or Braeburn apples work best because they hold their shape and texture when cooked.
- Broth – Feel free to use chicken, beef, veggie, or bone broth.
- Onion and garlic – This classic aromatic combination adds deep flavor.
- Tomato paste – This packs a flavorful punch while bringing balance and a touch of sweetness to the skillet.
- Sage – This popular cold-weather herb pairs so well with sausage and squash.
How to make a sausage butternut squash skillet
This 35-minute skillet makes a delicious, savory, and unique fall dinner. Enjoy the symphony of flavors and textures after whipping it together in a few short steps:
Step 1: In a hot and oiled skillet, crumble and sauté the Italian sausages over medium heat. Once thoroughly browned, add the onion, minced garlic, tomato paste, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Stir well.
Step 2: Add the butternut squash and your broth of choice to the skillet. Do your best to submerge the squash in the broth, then cover with a lid and let the mixture simmer.
Step 3: Once the squash is almost softened, stir in the apples and continue cooking for another 3 minutes. At this point, all of the ingredients should be soft, aromatic, and flavorful.
Step 4: Remove the butternut squash skillet from the heat, top with fresh sage, and enjoy!
When I want to make this stovetop butternut squash skillet the star of the show, I pair it with simpler sides such as oven baked carrot fries, sweet corn risotto, or heirloom tomato salad. You can also find me layering a scoop on top of rice, lettuce, or pasta, or stuffing it into fall-flavored tacos, burritos, or enchiladas!
- Roasted butternut squash – To save time, roast the cubed squash ahead of time and add it to the skillet when you add the apples.
- Vegetarian – Make this butternut squash skillet vegetarian by swapping the Italian sausage for a plant-based alternative. And don’t forget to use veggie broth!
- Turn it into a stew – Double the amount of broth and thicken the mixture with a cornstarch and water slurry or heavy cream.
- Add extra protein or fiber – By stirring in a can of cannellini or black beans.
- Customize the flavors – Create an Italian-flavored skillet by adding oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary, or create a Mexican-inspired skillet by swapping the sausages for ground beef and tossing in a bit of cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Want to add more veggies? Try adding a few diced tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, kale, or broccoli florets before allowing the skillet to simmer.
Looking for more healthy skillet recipes?
- Ground Turkey Butternut Squash Skillet
- Sweet Potato Shrimp Skillet
- Chicken Sausage and Vegetable Pasta Skillet
- Creamy Keto Tuscan Salmon Skillet
Sausage Butternut Squash Skillet
- 16 oz (4) italian sausages
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 apple, cubed
- 8 oz broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh sage
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add sausage crumbled (casing removed) and saute to brown (8-10 minutes). Add onion, garlic, tomato paste and seasoning. Stir well.
- Next add in the butternut squash and broth. The squash must be somewhat submerged in broth but not necessarily all the way submerged. Cover, turn heat down to medium low and let it simmer for about 12mins or the butternut squash has softened.
- About 3 minutes before squash is done, add in the diced apple. Cover and let it simmer.
- When done remove from heat. Garnish with fresh sage and serve.