This Slow Cooker Bourbon Beef Short Ribs recipe delivers a dish of succulent, tender short ribs infused with flavor. Best of all the crockpot allows you to set it and forget it as the beef short ribs simmer to perfection for a tasty and satisfying meal.
Serve this succulent bourbon short ribs with a side of rice or mashed cauliflower. You can serve the meat and sauce on top of this corn risotto or creamy polenta and don’t forget to serve with crusty bread to help soak up all the yummy goodness of this meal.
Table of Contents
- Why You’ll Love This Slow Cooker Short Ribs Recipe
- Ingredients For Making Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs
- How To Make This Slow Cooker Bourbon Short Ribs Recipe
- Tips and Variations Of Beef Short Ribs
- Make Ahead And Storage
- Looking for more mouthwatering rib recipes?
- Slow Cooker Bourbon Beef Short Ribs Recipe
This crockpot recipe lets you enjoy the rich flavors of bourbon-infused beef short ribs with minimal effort. Crockpots or slow cookers are great to have on hand especially when it comes to cooking ribs. Short ribs have the best taste and texture when they are cooked at a low temperature over several hours which is where the slow cooker comes in handy. If your slow cooker can also sear and saute you’ve got a one-pot meal that’s absolutely loaded with flavor.
I love my slow cooker!
One of my favorite kitchen appliances is my GreenPan Slow Cooker. This elite 8-in-1 programmable 6qt electric slow cooker is dishwasher safe, lid and crock are removable for easy clean up. PFAS-Free made with healthy non-stick ceramic. Some of the functions are multi-cooker, sear, sauté, brown, steam basket and roast!!
Why add bourbon when you cook?
If you’ve never added bourbon to your meat dishes you’ll be pleasantly surprised to know that not only does it add a deep flavor it also helps tenderize the meat. If you love the melt-in-your-texture of these bourbon braised beef short ribs you should consider using bourbon in your cooking more often.
Why You’ll Love This Slow Cooker Short Ribs Recipe
Tender: This recipe for slow cooker short ribs delivers soft, tender, and mouthwatering ribs.
Hands off time: After you get the browning and sauteeing done, it’s completely hands off.
Make ahead option: Sometimes you need to have a recipe that will still taste great a few days later.
Flavorful: The combination of seasonings in this bourbon short ribs recipe creates an extremely flavorful dish.
One pot: All the searing, simmering and cooking is done in one pot making for an easy cleanup.
Ingredients For Making Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs
- Beef short ribs – Use bone-in beef short ribs.
- Olive oil – Extra virgin olive oil is best but any kind will work.
- Sea salt and pepper -Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Onion – Any type of onion, diced is good.
- Carrots – Carrots, cubed, give some texture and color to the ribs.
- Celery stalks -Celery, chopped, also adds flavor and texture to these crockpot ribs.
- Garlic – Fresh minced garlic is best but jarred also works.
- Red wine vinegar – Red wine vinegar adds some acidity and sweetness to these bourbon braised short ribs.
- Coconut aminos – Coconut aminos add more flavor and are a good substitute for soy sauce.
- Bourbon – Any kind of bourbon is good.
- Tomato paste – Tomato paste helps thicken up the gravy and adds flavor.
- Beef broth – Use low sodium beef broth so you can adjust the amount of salt to your preference.
- Fresh thyme – Fresh thyme adds flavor and some color.
- All-purpose flour – Flour thickens up the sauce. Use any gluten-free flour on a 1-1 basis if you are looking for a gluten-free meal.
How To Make This Slow Cooker Bourbon Short Ribs Recipe
Step 1: Season the ribs with salt and pepper on all sides and set aside.
Step 2: Select the brown/ sauté mode on your slow cooker and set the temperature to 400F degrees. Add oil and then add in the beef short ribs (see notes).
Step 3: Brown the ribs on all sides. Work in batches if you need to but do not overcrowd the slow cooker. Remove the ribs and transfer to a plate.
Step 4: Using the oil and browned bits left in the slow cooker, sauté the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery until softened.
Step 5: Stir in red wine vinegar, coconut aminos, and bourbon and allow the liquid to reduce by half.
Step 6: Whisk in the tomato paste and flour until mixture has thickened.
Step 7: Stir in the broth and whisk to combine. Turn off sauté mode.
Step 8: Transfer the beef ribs back to the slow cooker and top with fresh thyme. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
Tips and Variations Of Beef Short Ribs
Instead of bourbon. If you would prefer to make alcohol free ribs you can substitute apple juice, grape juice or orange juice.
Don’t forgo the searing. Searing the meat helps create a crisp exterior and locks in the flavors of these braised beef short ribs.
Change up the veggies. If you don’t have any carrots or celery on hand, use parsnips, potatoes, celery root or anything else you have in your produce drawer.
If your short ribs aren’t tender after the recommended cook time, try cooking them a little longer to see if this softens them up.
Short ribs should get tender if they are cooked at a low temperature for several hours.
It is recommended to sear or brown the ribs before cooking them for better flavor and texture.
Make Ahead And Storage
Make ahead: If you like to meal prep this beef short ribs recipe is a great option. Set it up while you prepare the rest of the meals on your list and it’ll be ready for the fridge by the time you’re done.
Storage: Store these slow cooker beef short ribs in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the oven or microwave.
Looking for more mouthwatering rib recipes?
- Balsamic Braised Short Ribs
- Air Fryer Ribs
- Instant Pot Short Ribs With Creamy Polenta
- Instant Pot Spare Ribs
Lightly spray the crockpot with cooking spray or olive oil spray for easier clean up.
Slow Cooker Bourbon Beef Short Ribs
- 4 lb bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots cubed
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos substitute for soy
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 32 oz beef broth
- fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour sub for GF flour
- Season short ribs generously with salt and pepper on all sides. Set aside.
- Select the brown/ sauté mode on your slow cooker. Set the temperature to 400F degrees. Add oil, when oil is very hot add in beef short ribs (see notes)
- Brown beef on all sides. Work in batches if you need to but do not overcrowd the slow cooker (about 15 minutes). Transfer beef short ribs to a plate.
- Using the oil and browned bits that are left in the slow cooker, sauté the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery until softened (about 5-6 minutes).
- Stir in red wine vinegar, coconut aminos (or soy) and bourbon. Let the liquid reduce by half (about 3 minutes)
- Whisk in the tomato paste and four until mixture has thickened (about 1 minute).
- Stir in the broth and whisk to combine. Turn off sauté mode.
- Transfer beef back to the slow cooker. Top with fresh thyme. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- If your slow cooker/ crock pot does not have a brown/ sauté function do this step on stove top.
- Do not overcrowd the beef, if you need to work in batches so the beef browns on all sides.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.