Juicy, finger-licking DELICIOUS falling off-the-bone Instant Pot Spare Ribs!
This recipe serves as dinner or tasty appetizer and it’s whole30 approved!
It’s easy to see why everyone loves a JUICY rack of ribs, but how many of us will actually babysit one in the oven? I can count the amount of times I braved through the commitment, even for a reward this delicious.
So I decided to make my favorite spare ribs one of my Instant Pot specialties. It turns out, it’s not only much quicker but even more delicious!
This recipe calls for a simple rub with basic pantry stables, 35 minutes of Instant Pot magic and only 3 in the broiler for the perfect finish.
Don’t underestimate the power of simple pantry staples such as paprika, chili and coriander put together into action. While coriander may not be your everyday spice, it adds a warm nutty flavor and it’s the perfect compliment to the paprika and chili.
Along for the ride are freshly ground black pepper which by the way tastes 10x better if you grind it using a mortar and pestle, kosher salt and onion powder.
Mix well and rub generously on both sides. Let this sit for at least 30 minutes. It will make the world of a difference.
the instant pot magic
Use your handy dandy trivet! I had to dig out mine from places my eyes hadn’t seen before, but hey… your trivet will suspend the meat above the water and allow it to cook evenly without it getting soggy! After all we are going after that oven-like texture with a crispy finish and meat that is soft and tasty!
Thirty five minutes, set and forget. Allow all pressure to be release naturally.
To remove from the instant pot I found it best to lift the trivet carefully and place spare ribs directly onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
the broil finish
Only 3 minutes friends, we’ve waited this long and now we are almost there! Before you put that beautiful rack of ribs in the oven, be sure to brush a generous amount of your favorite barbecue sauce on to both sides.
Get it sauced and get it goin’!
I recommend that you use a cookie sheet with no edge so you can slide the spare ribs on to your serving board. The meat is very delicate and literally falling off the bone at this point!
Add more sauce or serve it on the side. Top spare ribs with a few sprinkles of fresh scallions and go to town!
This recipe is perfect for a game night, night with friends, weekend fun or do something nice for your husband so he can finally agree to that trip you’ve been planning, lol (well, that’s me!). Anyway, it tastes amazing with this Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Brown Rice!
To make this Instant Pot Spare Ribs recipe whole30 approved, I used this barbecue sauce!
other instant pot favorites:
Instant Pot Spare Ribs
- Instant pot
- Sheet Pan
- 1 3.2lb St. Louis-Style pork spareribs
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce*
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Place spareribs meat side down on a double-layer of paper towel. Remove membrane from back of spareribs by pulling it off with a paper towel. Start by poking the membrane end loose with a butter fork until you have a good grip of it, then pull it off with a paper towl.
- In a small glass bowl mix the seasoning. Rub onto both sides of the spareribs pressing down with your fingers. Let it stand for at least 30 minutes for better flavor.
- Add 1 cup of water to the instant pot and place trivet on the bottom. Place rack of ribs standing on it's side, meaty part on the outter side. Cover and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. When done allow for NPR (natural pressure release).
- Meanwhile turn oven on broil.
- Remove spare ribs from instant pot but pulling out the trivet. Place spareribs on a sheet pan and brush with BBQ sauce on both sides. Broil for 2-3 minutes. (This step is optional but it gives the spareribs a nice finish)
- Remove from ovena and serve with a side of barbecue sauce. Top with fresh scallions (optional)