This Classic Meat Sauce Lasagna, is a mouthwatering one-pot complete dish of ground beef and ooey-gooey melted cheese that no one can resist!
When life gives you tomatoes you make lasagna! Gladly 🙂
Although often looked at as a special dish to be served on occasion, Lasagna is actually one of my go-to easy weeknight recipes because it’s a one-pot complete meal that my whole family enjoys.
This recipe has been in my family for many years, serving up some good tasty meals and making great memories. A friend of mine once said she never had lasagna made this way. Her comment hit me both as a surprise and interest to share my family’s recipe with you.
By no means I am suggesting that this Classic Meat Sauce Lasagna recipe has it’s origin in my family’s kitchen, but rather a recipe that we have loved and enjoyed for many years and to this day, it’s the only lasagna recipe I ever make.
This lasagna recipe is perfect all-year-round. During the summer when the tomatoes are growing so abundantly, I like to add my own tomato sauce, but a good jar of tomato sauce will most certainly get the job done. Additionally, you can try this recipe with Mozzarella cheese instead of American, they both taste quite nice!
You and your family are in for a treat with this delicious Classic Meat Sauce Lasagna, a mouthwatering one-pot dish of ooey-gooey melted cheese that no one can resist!
- 1 pk lasagna noodles
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 32oz jar tomato sauce
- 24 slices American cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ cup shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh basil
- Pre-heat oven to 375F degrees. Spray a 3q size pyrex (925 x 1325), set aside.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions. Drain, rinse and let it cool down to touch.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet. Add in ground beef and cook until browned (about 12 mins), stirring occasionally. When the meat is browned, season with salt and pepper, turn the heat to low, and add in tomato sauce and fresh basil. Cover and simmer for 10 mins.
- Cover entire bottom surface of pyrex with remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, brushing to the sides.
- Arrange three rolls and two layer of lasagna noodles (see picture)
- Cover noodle layer with cheese slices (about 12 slices) (see picture)
- Top with meat sauce, enough to cover entire surface (see picture)
- Repeat step 2, 3 and 4.
- Top with shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese and sprinkle parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes uncovered. Serve immediately.