Spice up dinner time with this delicious Black Bean Enchilada loaded with sweet potato, cheese in a homemade enchilada sauce!
Are you guys keeping up with this Mexican fiesta? I sure hope so, cuz it ain't over yet, in fact it is just getting better!
By better I mean welcoming a brand new addition to Garden in the Kitchen's menu >>This crazy-licious Black Bean Enchilada, loaded with shredded sweet potato, organic black beans, cheeeeese in a homemade Enchilada Sauce to finish this dish on a high note ?
But I don't want you to feel intimidated by this recipe, and here is why; this was my first time making enchiladas and I'll say -I am pretty proud of how they came out. Oh heck yeah I am proud!! 🙂
So if you haven't made enchiladas before, I think you will do just fine.
Take a look at this easy-to-follow infographic to learn how you can put together the perfect enchilada.
Once assembled, roll the enchilada real tight and place them in an oven safe casserole or pyrex. Cover the enchiladas with as little or as much sauce as you like, that's totally a personal choice as you may notice my enchiladas aren't swimming in sauce, and that's how I like it.
When it's done, go ahead a garnish it with all that good stuff like cilantro, fresh scallion, lime and be sure to get your avocado in there because why not, right!
In all certainty this recipe is the first of many variations to come, as I am already getting requests from Mr. Protein for a 'Man' version of this enchilada. In his own words... go figure 🙂
I am positive that your family will enjoy this recipe as well. So what you say Mama, we cook up some Enchiladas?
Black Bean Enchilada (Vegetarian)
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add onion and cook until soft. Add shredded sweet potato, salt, garlic and onion powder, stir and sauté for about 5 mins. Remove from heat.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F degrees. Now, let's assemble the enchiladas (see picture above).
- Place an individual tortilla on a plate. Spread 1 tablespoon of enchilada sauce in the center of the tortilla. Then add a line with 2 tablespoon sweet potato, 2 tablespoon beans, a handful of cheese and sprinkle with fresh scallion. Roll the tortilla tight.
- Cover the bottom of the casserole or pyrex dish with enchilada sauce then place rolled enchiladas tightly next to each other. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the rolled enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Garnish with fresh cilantro and scallion, more beans if you wish. Serve with fresh lime slices and avocado.
Check out this recipe too: >>Sheet Pan Spicy Nachos