This healthy Egg Roll in a Bowl is made in one skillet and loaded with ground chicken, veggies, and a spicy avocado mayo dressing. It’s low-carb, keto-friendly, and just as crave-worthy as a classic egg roll!
This Egg Roll in a Bowl is a healthy twist on traditional Chinese egg rolls. It has (almost) everything from the classic fried and cabbage stuffed rolls, but all packed into a vibrant bowl. Enjoy this vegetable and chicken-topped bowl for meal prep, healthy lunches, weeknight dinners, and more!
Table of Contents
Disclosure: this recipe has been created in partnership with Awaken180° Weightloss and it is compliant with the program rules and recommendations. For more information please visit Awaken180° Weightloss.
To finish, these flavorful bowls are topped with a creamy and spicy mayonnaise dressing. Avocado mayonnaise is seasoned with hot sauce, ginger, and lemon juice. It gives every bite just the right amount of kick with pops of complex, yet well-balanced flavors.
3 reasons why you’ll love this healthy lunch:
- It’s the healthy version of an egg roll: Think of this keto egg roll in a bowl as a deconstructed egg roll. Egg rolls are stuffed with cabbage, carrots, onion, and ground meat before being rolled into a wheat flour wrapper and fried in oil. In this recipe, the excess oil and carbs are swapped for healthy ground chicken and lightly seasoned sauteed vegetables.
- Perfect for meal prep: Chicken and vegetables are always a great choice for meal prep (Garlic Chicken Thighs and Green Beans are a favorite of mine) and this recipe is no different. Simply pack the cooked vegetables and chicken in containers with the dressing on the side to enjoy throughout the week.
- A one-skillet, 40-minute recipe: Looking for a last-minute weeknight dinner? You can count on this quick and low-stress meal. The chicken and vegetables are cooked together in one skillet and are ready to eat in just under 40 minutes.
What’s in an egg roll bowl?
The ingredients in this bowl are similar to what you’d find in real Chinese egg rolls and my Chicken Cabbage Stir Fry. They’re healthy, fresh, and colorful!
- Ground chicken – Egg rolls are most often stuffed with ground pork but I used ground chicken because it’s lean and lower in fat and calories. Ground turkey could also work as a substitute.
- Cabbage – I used both green and purple shredded cabbage. Try not to skip these! Cabbage is a low-calorie cruciferous vegetable loaded with plenty of health benefits, such as vitamins C and K, fiber, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Orange bell pepper – This is used to replicate the shredded carrot that’s found in a traditional egg roll filling.
- Brussels sprouts – Just like cabbage, brussels sprouts are a cruciferous vegetable full of vitamins and minerals and plenty of anti-cancer properties. They’re more than welcome in this healthy meal prep bowl!
- Soy sauce – Just a splash will give the sauteed vegetables a salty and umami flavor.
- Spicy ginger mayo – It’s creamy, a little spicy, and the perfect dressing in this healthy bowl. I recommend using the program-approved Primal Kitchen brand of avocado mayonnaise and Tabasco hot sauce. If you’re sensitive to spice, start with 1 or 2 teaspoons of hot sauce, then work up to more from there.
How to make an egg roll in a bowl
Make sure all of your vegetables are chopped before you start this recipe so you aren’t rushing.
Step 1: Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet. Once it’s hot, add the ground chicken and saute until they’re cooked through. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a plate.
Step 2: Add the remaining oil to the skillet and add in the cabbage, bell pepper, and brussels sprouts. Stir in the soy sauce and ginger paste as they soften.
Step 3: Stir the sauce ingredients together in a jar while you wait for the vegetables to cook.
Step 4: Transfer the cooked chicken back into the skillet and toss with the sauteed vegetables. Once the chicken is heated through again, scoop the veggie and chicken mixture into bowls. Top with sliced green onion and a dollop of avocado mayo hot sauce, then enjoy!
- Oil free – You could try sauteeing the ground chicken and vegetables without oil or with water instead, but they may be prone to sticking.
- Vegetarian egg roll in a bowl – Simply omit the chicken if you need the egg roll bowl to be vegetarian.
- Add an egg for extra protein – Go ahead and crack an egg into the pan after the veggies are cooked. Stir it around until it scrambles.
- More topping ideas – In addition to the green onion, finish each bowl with diced avocado or chopped cilantro on top.
Once cooled to room temperature, store the chicken and veggie mixture in airtight containers in the fridge. Keep the dressing in a separate jar. Enjoy them for healthy lunches for 3 to 4 days.
Reheat the individual portions in the microwave or a skillet on the stove.
Looking for more Awaken180° Weightloss program approved dinner ideas?
- Creamy Keto Tuscan Salmon Skillet
- Stuffed Peppers Soup
- Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
- Mediterranean Salmon
- Churrasco Steak with Grilled Veggies
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups green cabbage shredded
- 2 cups purple cabbage shredded
- 1 cup orange bell pepper sliced thinly
- 1 cup brussels sprouts shaved, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp avocado mayo *program approved Primal Kitchen brand
- 2-3 tsp tabasco sauce
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil to a wok or large cast iron skillet. Add ground chicken and sauté oh high heat, breaking up the chunks until fully cooked 10-12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate.
- To the wok add remaining 1 tbsp olive oil along with green and purple cabbage, bell pepper and shaved brussels. Stir in soy sauce and 1 tsp ginger paste. If you like add a few thin slices of ginger for extra flavor. Sauté until veggies start to soften 9-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile stir in sauce ingredients. Transfer to a small jar.
- Transfer chicken back to the wok and toss with the stir fried veggies.
- Serve egg roll in a bowl with green onion sliced and top with avocado mayo hot sauce.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.