This Healthy Chicken Cabbage Stir Fry is packed with veggies and easy to digest flavors. The thin strips of chicken are super tender and moist. This is a great tasting dish that you and your family can enjoy and feel supported on your journey to good health.
Disclosure: this recipe has been created in partnership with Awaken180° Weightloss and it is compliant with the program rules and recommendations. For more information please visit Awaken180° Weightloss.
Chicken Stir Fry is a classic Asian dish, enjoyed around the world for its flavor, versatility and easy to put together. The ingredients are simple, budget-friendly, easy to make substitutions, and delicious.
Furthermore, this Chicken Stir Fry recipe gives us the flexibility to adapt to our own dietary needs, and this is probably my favorite part about this recipe. This said, I have taken a few of the classic ingredients and swapped them for healthier alternatives without compromising the flavor. It’s a win-win!
While the traditional method consists of heavier sauces high in sugar, my recipe is light, easy to digest, low in calories and still super tasty!
But before we get to the recipe, please check out these other delicious recipes that are Awaken180° Weightloss approved!
Garlic Chicken Thighs and Green Beans Skillet
Surf and Turf Steak and Lobster Dinner
Churrasco Steak with Grilled Veggies
For this Healthy Chicken Cabbage Stir Fry recipe you only need a handful of ingredients which includes a few vegetables, aromatics and flavoring agents such as ginger and garlic, a simple soy-maple sauce and chicken as a source of protein.
Chicken, cabbage, broccoli and red bell pepper together create a savory symphony that’s elevated when mixed with easy aromatics, like garlic and ginger. I guarantee that this deliciously simple and healthy stir fry will become a well-loved staple in your household!
While you can serve this stir fry recipe with cauliflower rice or a green salad, it is also perfectly served on its own or in a lettuce wrap.
How to cook a healthy chicken stir fry with vegetables
- Start by heating the oil in a cast iron skillet, until nice and hot.
- Add the aromatics garlic and ginger and give it a quick stir.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring often until no longer pink.
- Now add in the veggies and sauce but do not stir. Cover, turn the heat down to a medium-low and cook fo 5-7 minutes.
- Toss everything together and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
Storing and freezing
- To store, place any leftover chicken cabbage stir fry into an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To freeze, keep the leftovers in a freezer-safe airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight or reheat from frozen.
- To reheat, warm the leftovers in a skillet over medium heat or for a few minutes in the microwave.
- Because the chicken is sliced super thin, it virtually cooks in minutes! Once you cover the skillet, the result is this steamed-like chicken that is perfectly cooked, moist and flavorful. If you end up with leftovers, you will be amazed at how moist this chicken is even after re-heating!
- All the veggies must also be thinly sliced. This recipe is fully cooked in 15 minutes and that's partly due to the size of the ingredients.
- I don't recommend substituting fresh ginger for ginger powder, but if you must, add the ginger powder with the soy sauce and not with the garlic.
- This recipe works only with program approved Walden Farms Calorie Free Maple Walnut Syrup (affiliate link).
- This healthy chicken cabbage stir fry recipe is freezer friendly. Make sure to use glass air tight containers and freeze it up to 3 months for best results.
- Sesame seeds are optional but it adds good flavor and texture.
While this recipe is delicious as is, you can mix and match with different veggies to create something to your liking, or to keep a good variety going. Here are a few suggestions for vegetables substitutions that are Awaken180° Weightloss approved;
Or these vegetables limited to 2 cups a week
Yellow, Orange Peppers
Love a good stir fry? try these recipes next:
Healthy Chicken Cabbage Stir Fry
- 2 chicken breasts, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets, small pieces
- 1 cup cabbage, very thinly sliced/ chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup soy sauce* (sub for coconut aminos for keto)
- 1 tablespoon Walden Farms Maple Syrup* calorie-free, program approved
- 1 pinch freshly grounded black pepper**
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled, minced or thinly sliced
- fresh green onions or scallions
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil or EVOO
- Heat oil of choice (toasted sesame for extra flavor or EVOO) in a large skillet until you can feel the heat by bringing your hand close to the skillet. Skillet must be hot.
- Add in the garlic, ginger and give it a quick stir (10 seconds) and right away add the chicken. Stir well as it cooks until the chicken is no longer pink and raw looking. The chicken should have just turned opaque white but not fully cooked (4-5 minutes)
- Add the veggies (broccoli, cabbage and red bell pepper) and also the soy and maple. DO NOT STIR. Cover, turn heat down to medium-low and let it for 5-7 minutes. The veggies will soften and not overcook.
- Now toss everything well using a pair of kitchen tongs. Top with green onions and sesame seeds and serve.
Dayle S Burke says
I am on the Awaken180 program and this was the perfect meal. It was so easy to make and so delicious. Even my husband who is not on the program enjoyed it.
I'm looking forward to trying more of your program approved recipes.
Silvia Ribas says
Hi Dayle , this is so great to hear. I am glad you and your husband enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback, it's always so helpful! Silvia
This is an awesome recipe. It was delicious!!
Silvia Ribas says
Thank you Stephanie, I am so glad!
Silvia Ribas says
One of our favorite healthy low carb dinner recipes!