Easy Homemade Mexican Rice (Authentic Restaurant-Style) is finished with fresh cilantro and lime juice. This flavorful rice is easy to make at home and super fun to eat!
Am I on a rice obsession lately? Maybe! I can totally see why you might be wondering since I recently posted this Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice and now this tasty Easy Homemade Mexican Rice (Restaurant-Style)!
First of all, I love rice. Love loooove love rice with all my heart. It’s filling, versatile, easy to make and goes with just about everything. But also, rice is very fitting for a spring meal, or late winter as we are still struggling to get warmer weather, our bodies are ready for a change and RICE is feeling pretty darn good right now.
Lastly, I know you guys will be looking for a good rice recipe for your Cinco de Mayo menu and I certainly don’t want to disappoint your expectations, so it’s better to have two than none.
How to make this Easy Homemade MEXICAN RICE
Although this recipe is super simple and easy to make, it does have a combination of few flavorful ingredients that will give this Easy Homemade Mexican Rice the pizzazz you want.
I find that by sautéing the ingredients first including the rice, it intensifies the flavor. That’s also the way we cook rice in Brazil and I think Brazilians and Mexicans know a thing or two about making rice 🙂
For this recipe I used a 1 part rice = 1 part water and kept the tomato juice from the can of diced tomato instead of draining. So the result is absolutely perfect, having just enough liquid to soften the rice without overcooking it.
This is the can of fire roasted diced tomato I use every time. It’s super flavorful and can make a good recipe, great.
Lastly, we top with fresh cilantro and juice from a half lime, which is just enough to bring all the flavors together.
This Easy Homemade Mexican Rice will pair really well with this Instant Pot Mexican Refried Beans recipe and Lemon Butter Chicken.
If you make this Easy Homemade Mexican Rice recipe (Restaurant-Style), be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you and always do my best to respond to all your comments. Also, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram for a special shutout and/or a chance of being featured in my newsletter!
Restaurant-Style Mexican Rice
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 can 14oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon each; paprika and cumin
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ whole lime, juiced
- In a large dutch oven pan heat the oil. Add in onion and garlic sauté until fragrant 2-3 minutes. Then add the diced tomatoes, juice and all. Stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice and all seasoning. Stir to combine. Pour in 2 cups of water (equal measure rice = water), stir and cover.
- Cook on medium heat for 15-17 minutes or until all water has absorbed.
- Add fresh cilantro and lime juice. Give it a gentle stir to combine. Serve
Save this recipe to Pinterest for later!
Just hover over the image and click the "Save" button.
Leave a Reply