A fun step-by-step guide on how to make the most delicious and heart warming Skillet Chicken Pot Pie with veggies, mushroom, moist chicken cubes and topped with a melt-in-your-mouth pie crust!
Fall is almost here and while we sometimes struggle to settle into a fast-paced and more structured routine, a great way to do so is by adding comforting and nourishing foods to your dinner menu.
This classic, mouthwatering and heart warming Skillet Chicken Pot Pie will do just that, all while providing your family with a healthy and hearty meal that will have everyone going back to seconds 🙂
Although Chicken Pot Pie is a classic dish loved by most American families, few families are carrying on the tradition of making their own chicken pot pie, instead opting to buy ready in stores. I am here to say that while I totally get it, as a busy Mom of four time is pretty limited, but with a a little bit of planning and this easy how-to recipe tutorial, you can make you own chicken pot pie next time!
I can promise you this is not only an easy recipe to make, but a very joyful one too!
Other COMFORTING Skillet Recipes:
How To Make Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
Lets start by steaming two chicken breast for 20 minutes. Steaming is a great way to preserve the moisture which is super important! I added some oregano, onion powder and seasoned with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. (Check the center of the chicken to make sure it is cooked through as the breast size may vary)
When the chicken is cooked transfer to a cutting board and cut into cute little bite size cubes.
Meanwhile sauté the onion, garlic and mushrooms until the onions are translucent and fragrant.
Then you add your veggie mix. I used a bag of frozen vegetable medley but you can certainly choose a different mix.
Next add in the cubed chicken and cream of chicken soup!
I know you will consider stopping right here and serving over rice (I totally did!). That’s a delicious option for those busy-er week nights when time is really not on your side. For now, let’s finish the pie!
Place a pie crust on top of the chicken veggie mix and tuck in any extra dough, forming sort of a curl around the edge, or you can use a fork to make a lined edge. Use your imagination to create something fun!
Using a sharp knife, cut four slits in on top of the crust to vent.
Take a picture. It’s beautiful!!
Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown… and perfect, and delicious!
…Or until a neighbor knocks on your door asking what the heck are you cooking that smells so good! 😋
This Skillet Chicken Pot Pie is really a delicious and mouthwatering dish that your whole family will love. It’s the type of recipe that tastes 100x better when made fresh at home. I promise, it’s worth your time and effort.
Oh, and don’t plan on having left overs. There won’t be any left!
Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 whole chicken breasts, 1 lbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen vegetable madly/ mix
- 1 can 14.5oz cream of chicken soup
- 1 sheet pie crust
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 pinch onion powder
- 1 pinch sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 whole egg beaten, for brushing
- Pre-heat oven to 400F degrees.
- Place two chicken breasts in a hot steamer basket. Add oregano, onion powder and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Check the center of the chicken to make sure it is cooked through. When done transfer to a cutting board and cute into small cubes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms. Sauté for 3-4 minutes or until onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Next add in vegetable mix, cubed chicken and cream of chicken soup. Season with Italian seasoning and adjust the salt according to your taste. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from stove. Place pie crust over the chicken and veggie mix. Fold the dough inside forming a curly edge. Cut four slits in on top of the crust to vent.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.