Bursting with fresh berries and loaded with rich cream cheese, this Berries Cream Cheese French Toast is the ultimate breakfast to get out of bed for. Served warm from the oven, no one will be able to resist this baked French toast with crispy edges on the outside, a creamy filling on the inside all topped with juicy berries and a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Pure morning decadence.
If you are looking for another French toast option, try this Breakfast Apple Pie French Toast.
Table of Contents
This colorful, Fourth of July-themed cream cheese French toast makes the perfect breakfast casserole to honor the occasion. This Patriotic Berries Cream Cheese French Toast is a great way to start this celebratory day and put a smile on everyone’s face.
Fresh berries and cream cheese take baked French toast to another level in this casserole. Baked French toast is always a big hit, kids love as it tastes yummy and they can slather it with maple syrup and moms loves it as it’s hands off and she can get other things ready while it bakes in the oven.
Why You’ll Love This French Toast
- Crowd pleaser – Everyone loves French toast.
- Modifiable – You can easily change up the berries, use different fruit altogether, make it gluten-free or add different toppings.
- Hands off – Unlike traditional French toast, this French toast bakes up without the need to watch over it.
- Make-ahead – Prep the bread and prepare the egg-milk mixture the night before so morning prep time is quick. Or combine all the ingredients the night before and just bake the French toast in the morning.
What is Baked French Toast?
Baked French toast is similar to French toast you’d make on the stove but it cooks up in the oven. Bread and an egg-milk mixture are combined into a baking dish and baked up in the oven instead of on the stovetop.
Very popular as a breakfast or brunch casserole, baking the French toast lets you tend to the other tasks at hand and there’s no need to compromise on taste, texture or appearance. Best of all the house will smell amazing as it cooks in the oven.
French toast prepared in the oven also gives you the chance to bake things with it like fruit, cream cheese or even chocolate chips.
Ingredients To Make Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast
- French baguette – One baguette sliced into 1 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Blueberries – Blueberries add color and a sweet yet tart flavor to this French toast.
- Raspberries – Raspberries add a pop of red and also a sweet and tart flavor.
- Eggs – White, brown, free-range or whatever you have on hand will all work well.
- Milk – Any kind of milk will work, the higher the fat content the richer the French toast will be.
- Sugar – A touch of white sugar sweetens things up a bit.
- Cream cheese – Full fat cream cheese makes this French toast rich and decadent.
- Powdered sugar – Also known as confectioner’s sugar, this sugar is nice as a sweet garnish.
How To Make Berry Stuffed French Toast
- Step 1: Get the oven going to 350F degrees.
- Step 2: Place the baguette slices in the casserole dish standing up. Or create your own type of unique arrangement with the bread.
- Step 3: Fill in the gaps in between the bread slices with the berries.
- Step 4: Combine the eggs, milk, sugar and cream cheese in a bowl and whisk until fully combined. Pour the egg-milk mixture over the baguette and berries.
- Step 5: Place the French toast in the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until a light golden brown.
- Step 6: Remove from the oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar, additional berries and serve warm with maple syrup.
Tips and Variations
- Don’t throw away stale bread, it’s perfect in this French toast. Store it in the freezer until you are ready to use it.
- If you don’t have a baguette on hand, any kind of bread will work, even gluten-free.
- Change up the fruit and use whatever fresh or frozen berries you have on hand, or use a different kind of fruit altogether like bananas, peaches or apples.
- Feel free to add chocolate chips, shredded coconut or chopped nuts.
- Mix some vanilla or cinnamon into the egg and milk mixture.
- For a creamier French toast use heavy cream instead of milk.
- Top with some whipping cream for an even more decadent breakfast.
- To lighten things up use ricotta cheese or for a richer flavor use mascarpone.
If your French toast ended up soggy it could be because there was too much liquid or the temperature it was cooked at was too low. Also, don’t cut the bread too thin as this may also contribute to the sogginess.
Yes, leftovers will heat well. Cover it so it doesn’t dry out.
Make ahead and storage
To make ahead: Cut the bread and place it in the casserole dish the night before. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. You can also mix the egg and milk mixture and store it in the fridge overnight. Pour the mixture over the bread, add the fruit and throw it all in the oven in the morning.
Storage: Leftover berries and cream French toast can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Looking for more breakfast inspiration?
- Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Ham Egg Cheese Breakfast Pizza
- Ranchero Beans Breakfast Burrito
- Farmer’s Casserole
Berries Cream Cheese French Toast
- 1 french baguette sliced 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350F degrees.
- Arrange the baguette slices one after the other, one to the left and next one to the right (see picture) or be creative and come up with your own arrangement.
- Place berries in between the slices, filling in all the gap of spaces.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, sugar and cream cheese until fully combined. Pour over the baguette and berries.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, add remaining berries on top and serve warm with syrup
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.