This Herb Roasted Chicken is coated in butter and fresh herbs before being baked to succulent, golden brown perfection. It’s a simple dinner with mouthwatering results every time!
Disclosure: this recipe has been created in partnership with Awaken180° Weightloss and it is compliant with the maintenance program rules and recommendations. For more information please visit Awaken180° Weightloss.
There’s no doubt that chicken is always a perfect choice for family dinners, holidays, or when you’re craving comfort food. Lemon Butter Chicken Thighs are a meal prep must and Sheet Pan Chicken and Veggies is one of the easiest family-friendly dinners ever!
Just like my Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, this Herb Roasted Chicken always turns out juicy, tender, and so succulent. It’s a wonderful alternative to a whole turkey for small holiday celebrations and is really easy to prepare for weeknight dinners. There are usually enough leftovers for lunch the next day too!
You can always turn to this savory baked chicken as a healthy and foolproof meal in a pinch. The skin is coated in butter, simple seasonings, and fresh herbs before it’s baked for a little over 1 hour. Serve each juicy and golden brown slice with Stuffed Zucchini Boats for a healthy and flavorful meal!
Baked whole chicken ingredients
- Whole chicken - I made this recipe with a 3-pound chicken but you can use a larger chicken depending on the number of people you’re serving. See my tips below if you need to adjust the cooking times.
- Butter - Butter spread all over the chicken skin will soak right into the meat, making every single bite succulent and juicy. To make an extra savory garlic herb butter roast chicken, stir the soft butter together with minced garlic and herbs before rubbing it all over the meat.
- Fresh herbs - The best herbs for roast chicken are rosemary, thyme, and oregano. Fresh is always best!
- Mushrooms - Pan fried baby bella mushrooms are served with this roasted chicken recipe. Not a fan of mushrooms? Replace them with sauteed kale, carrots, broccoli, or zucchini.
Rosemary and garlic - These delicious aromatics are cooked along with the mushrooms for gorgeous flavors that pair perfectly with the herb baked chicken.
How to make a herb roasted whole chicken
Not only is this roasted chicken recipe so comforting, savory, and juicy, but it’s also Awaken180° Weightloss approved! Incorporate this whole roasted chicken into family meals or Sunday meal prep as a healthy protein to pair with delicious sides, like Stuffed Pepper Soup and Green Tuna Salad.
Step 1: Rinse the chicken under water and dry it really well using paper towels. Tie the legs using kitchen twine and tuck the wings under the breasts. Transfer it to a roasting pan or baking sheet.
Step 2: Spread some cold butter all over the chicken so it’s completely covered. Season with onion powder, salt, and pepper.
Step 3: Chop the fresh herbs and add them to the chicken, making sure to get under the legs, wings, and breasts. Fill the chicken cavity with more fresh herbs, lemon slices, and any other citrus you like.
Step 4: Place the chicken in a 450ºF oven, then immediately lower the heat to 400ºF. The high heat will help crisp the outside while the lower heat cooks the meat from the inside out.
Step 5: To make the pan fried mushrooms, melt the butter in a skillet and cook the mushrooms, garlic, and rosemary together until they’re soft and golden brown.
Step 6: The whole chicken is ready when the thickest part of the breast has an internal temperature of 165ºF. Serve it with the pan fried mushrooms and garnish with fresh herbs and pomegranate seeds for a festive meal!
Tips and variations
- Stuff it with flavor boosters - If you really want to infuse big flavors into your roast chicken, stuff the chicken cavity with flavor boosters like lemon or orange wedges, fresh rosemary or thyme, quartered onions, and garlic cloves.
- Use a meat thermometer - Roast chicken is ready to eat when the thickest part of the meat reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF. You can track the temperature as it cooks with a meat thermometer.
- Let it rest - Once the whole chicken comes out of the oven, let it rest for at least 10 minutes on the counter. This will seal in all of the delicious juices!
Frequently asked questions
How long does it take to roast a whole chicken?
The general rule is to bake the whole chicken for 20 minutes per pound, with an extra 15 minutes tacked on at the end. A 3-pound chicken will take 1 hour and 15 minutes to bake in a 400ºF oven.
Can you make this recipe with frozen chicken?
You can make this recipe using a frozen chicken but it must be fully thawed before it goes in the oven. A whole chicken should take about 24 hours to thaw in the fridge.
Which herbs go well with chicken?
Thyme and rosemary are classic herbs to pair with chicken, but oregano is delicious too. Garlic butter is delicious and savory, and you can even add some lemon zest for extra brightness.
Do you bake a chicken covered or uncovered?
Roasting this whole chicken uncovered won’t dry it out. If the skin is getting a little too brown for your liking, cover it with a layer of tinfoil.
More healthy dinner recipes you’ll love
- Keto Tuscan Salmon Skillet
- Low Carb Beef Stew
- Chicken Cabbage Stir Fry
- Surf and Turf Steak Lobster Dinner
Herb Roasted Chicken
- 3 lb whole chicken
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 sprig each, rosemary, thyme and oregano (preferably fresh herbs)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt and ground pepper, (adjust to taste)
Pan Fried Mushrooms
- 1 lb baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic
- Wash chicken in cold running water then dry completely using paper towels. Set chicken on a sheet pan or cutting board. Tight the legs using kitchen twine and tuck wings under breasts.
- Using your fingers spread 1 tablespoon of cold butter all over the chicken. Use a little more if needed. Be sure to cover all surfaces.
- Season chicken with onion powder, salt and pepper. Again be sure to cover the entire chicken.
- Chop herbs finely then add to chicken. Use your fingers to add some herbs to the legs, wings and under parts.
- Fill chicken cavity with herbs lemon and citrusy fruit.
- Bring chicken to a 450F degrees pre-heated oven, then right away reduce oven temperature to 400F degrees. Roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until internal temperature measured at thickest part of the breast has reached 165F degrees.
- Serve with mushrooms, fresh herbs and garnish with pomegranate for a festive meal!
Pan Fried Mushrooms
- Melt butter in large skillet. Add mushrooms, rosemary and garlic.
- Sauté for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden brown.