This foolproof Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup is perfect for healthy weeknight dinners, meal prep, and flavor-packed lunches! It’s easy to make in 30 minutes and loaded with shredded chicken, black beans, veggies, and savory Mexican spices.
Get out your Instant Pot! This dream machine is the ultimate tool for making one-pot, healthy recipes for meal prep and easy dinners. It’s my tool of choice to make loaded soups in half the time as the stovetop method, like my Stuffed Peppers Soup, Minestrone Soup, and now this Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup.
This Mexican-inspired soup recipe is made entirely in the Instant Pot using shredded chicken breasts, vegetables, black beans, and simple Mexican spices. The flavors are smoky and zesty, while every bowl keeps you full for hours. Enjoy it for weeknight dinners, filling lunches, or whenever you need a healthy meal that doesn’t sacrifice flavor.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- An easy one-pot soup recipe: From start to finish, this recipe is made entirely in the Instant Pot. This keeps the process simple, quick, and hands-off, while helping you avoid a lengthy cleanup.
- Made with healthy ingredients: Shredded chicken breasts and black beans pack every bowl of soup with protein while the fresh vegetables add a wide variety of nutrients. For an extra boost of collagen and protein, make this recipe with homemade chicken bone broth.
- Full of smoky Mexican-inspired flavors: It doesn’t take much to infuse this soup with the smoky, zesty, and tangy flavors you love - just simple Mexican seasonings! It’s incredibly comforting as well, just like a classic caldo de pollo or chicken tortilla soup.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chicken breast - The chicken breasts are cooked in broth, then shredded and stirred in with the rest of the soup ingredients. To speed up this recipe, you can use the leftover shredded chicken that’s already in your fridge or shred a store-bought rotisserie chicken instead. Chicken thighs can also be used; refer to my Instant Pot Chicken Thighs recipe for cooking times and instructions.
- Chicken broth - You can upgrade the flavors here by making a homemade chicken stock or by using a high-quality store-bought chicken broth.
- Olive oil
- Black beans - Or you can use canned pinto beans.
- Corn - Canned corn, frozen corn, or fresh corn kernels will all be great in this soup.
- Tomatoes + tomato sauce - If you don’t want to chop the tomatoes yourself, you can substitute a can of diced or crushed tomatoes for the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Red bell pepper - Any color of bell pepper can be used but I like the tart sweetness of red peppers.
- Taco seasoning - You can make the taco seasoning yourself or use a store-bought pre-mixed packet.
- Paprika - To season the chicken.
- Salt + pepper
How to make Mexican chicken soup in the Instant Pot
Step 1: Heat the oil in the Instant Pot on Saute mode. Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and paprika while you wait, then add them to the pot with the hot oil. Saute on both sides until lightly golden.
Step 2: Pour the chicken broth into the pot. Turn off Saute mode, cover with the lid, and seal the valve. Cook on High Pressure.
Step 3: When done, release all of the pressure and remove the lid. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred it with two forks. Place it back in the pot.
Step 4: Stir the rest of the Mexican chicken soup ingredients into the Instant Pot. Cover again, seal the lid, and cook on High Pressure.
Step 5: Quickly release the pressure when it’s done. Ladle the chicken soup into bowls and add the toppings of your choice on top. Enjoy!
Just like an authentic chicken tortilla soup, you can garnish this soup with heaps of toppings. Here’s what I suggest:
- Diced avocado
- Crumbled cotija or feta cheese
- Pickled red onions
- Jalapeño slices
- Tortilla chips
- Fresh cilantro
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Pickled radish slices
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
Tips and variations
- Change up the vegetables - Zucchini, carrots, potatoes, or cabbage can all be used in addition to the other vegetables in this recipe.
- Vegetarian Mexican soup - Simply omit the chicken and use vegetable broth to make a vegetarian-friendly version.
- Instead of shredded chicken - Use shredded turkey, extra beans, or ground beef.
- Make it creamy - Feel free to stir up to 1 cup of half and half or whole milk into the finished soup to give it a silky smooth and creamy consistency.
- Add rice or quinoa - You can bulk up each serving by adding a scoop of cooked rice or quinoa to the bottom of the bowls, then ladeling the soup over top.
Store the cooled, leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen for about 2 months.
Allow the frozen soup to thaw fully in the fridge first, then reheat in the microwave or in a pot on the stove until warmed through.
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes?
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup
- 3 lb chicken breast
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 can corn drained
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 pk taco seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 pinch sea salt + pepper
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper and paprika. Turn the Instant Pot on sauté mode. When hot add in the oil. Sauté the chicken breasts on both sides, about 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Add in about 2 cups of chicken broth. Cancel out sauté mode, cover and seal the valve. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes, when done release all pressure and open the pot.
- Transfer the chicken to a large plate or cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken completely. The chicken should be able to come apart very easily. When done, transfer the shredded chicken back into the pot.
- Add remaining ingredients at this point, including the remaining two cups of chicken stock. Season with taco seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Give it a good stir.
- Cover the pot once again and seal the valve. Cook on high pressure mode for 3 minutes. When done, quickly release the pressure.
- Serve with avocado, cilantro, fresh jalapeño slices, feta cheese and plenty of tortilla chips.