This EASY Multi-Purpose Tomato Sauce is a kitchen staple for adding flavor and color to all your recipes. From soups to pastas, stews, tacos and pizza this sauce is the perfect go-to!
It’s sad to say tomato season is coming to an end and it is safe to say that by now we’ve all enjoyed our delicious fresh tomatoes in every way possible, and maybe… just maybe we are left with a fridge full of tomatoes and a brain out of ideas.
Does this happen to you to?
Oh, great! No seriously, this is great because I’ve got the perfect recipe for you!
Giving something a purpose is great, but giving something multi-purpose is even better!
This Multi-Purpose Tomato Sauce is your convenient, oven roasted, deliciously fresh, homemade tomato sauce that can be used in sauces, pasta, pizza, soups, stews and pot roast, tacos, lasagna and so much more!
say no more, right?
This Multi-Purpose Tomato Sauce require very little hands-on attention from you. The tomatoes are not peeled, nor seeded, but at the end we give the sauce a ‘rough’ straining as we definitely want to see lots of yummy tomato chunks which is what gives our recipes that fresh look and taste.
best cooking method for tomato sauce
Some may argue with this, but for me roasting the tomatoes gives the sauce a much deeper flavor. I’ve tried it a million times and can honestly say that roasted tomato sauce tastes best.
wanna an even better tasting tomato sauce?
Broil after roasting! See those fire roasted edge on the tomatoes? Yep, thats’ gold! Give it a try next time 🙂
which herbs do I use to flavor the tomato sauce
Any or all! My favorites are basil, oregano and thyme. I almost always use a combination of these three.
what recipes can I use this sauce?
If you make this multi-purpose tomato sauce be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Multi-Purpose Tomato Sauce
- Sheet Pan
- 6 lb ripe tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- fresh basil, thyme
- Pre-heat oven to 425F degrees. Set aside a large sheet pan or two medium size.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut steam side off. Place tomatoes on sheet pan, steam-cut side down. Cut an 'x' on bottom-side now facing up of larger tomatoes.
- Pour oil over tomatoes and season with salt. Place whole garlic randomly on sheet pan
- Roast tomatoes for 45 minutes. When done switch oven to broil and roast for an additional 3-5 minutes or until tomatoes start to brown up on top.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack. Let it sit for 10 minutes so the tomatoes will eliminate the excess water.
- Using a large spatula, pick up each tomato and transfer to a high speed blander, leaving most of the liquid behind. Don't worry there will be plenty liquid in the tomato still. P.S. you might want to do this step in batches!
- Add fresh herbs, dried oregano and the roasted garlic into the blender and pulse for a few seconds (about 30).
- When done pulsing all the tomato, sift half the batch through a strainer with larger roles or a colander. The key is to eliminate some of the seeds and keep most of the tomato chunks. I found that sifting half the batch did the trick for me
- Transfer sauce to jars and refrigerate for up to two weeks or freeze for up to 6 months.