Mediterranean Couscous Salad is a zesty dish filled with colorful veggies and feta cheese, tossed with a light and herby dressing. The result is a crunchy, satisfying salad perfect as a side dish for grilled meats or light lunch for the summer.
Table of Contents
- What is Mediterranean Couscous Salad?
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- 1. Loaded with Flavor
- 2. Healthy and Filling
- 3. Versatile and Easy to Make
- Key Ingredients
- Preparation and Cooking Instructions
- Serving Suggestions and Variations
- Storage and Leftovers
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad Recipe
What is Mediterranean Couscous Salad?
If you’re looking for a healthy and flavorful side dish, Mediterranean Couscous Salad is an amazing option! This dish is a combination of pearl couscous, juicy tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, kalamata olives, and feta cheese. It’s then dressed with a fresh lemon herb dressing that packs a bold punch.
Couscous is a staple in Mediterranean cuisine and is made from durum wheat semolina pasta. It’s often used in salads, stews, and side dishes. This recipe uses pearl couscous, which is also known as Israeli couscous. Pearl couscous is larger than regular couscous and has a chewier texture.
Mediterranean Couscous is a delicious and healthy dish that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a side dish for a summer barbecue or a light lunch, this salad is sure to satisfy your cravings for Mediterranean flavors.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Here are a few reasons why you’re going to LOVE this dish:
1. Loaded with Flavor
This salad is packed with flavor in every bite. The pearl couscous has a chewy texture, while the fresh veggies, herbs, and lemon vinaigrette are zesty and refreshing. The feta cheese provides a creamy flavor that complements the other ingredients perfectly.
2. Healthy and Filling
Med Salad is an excellent healthy choice to add to your day and will keep you full and energized for hours.
3. Versatile and Easy to Make
This Mediterranean pearl Couscous Salad is a versatile dish that can be served as a main course or a side dish. You can add or substitute ingredients based on your preferences or what you have on hand. The salad can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for a few days, making it a great option for meal prep or picnics, and cookouts.
Here are a few key ingredients you’ll need to include:
- Couscous is a staple ingredient in this salad. This recipe uses pearl couscous which is a healthy and filling ingredient that provides a great base for the salad.
- Fresh veggies are a must in any Mediterranean Couscous Salad recipe. You can use a variety of veggies, such as cucumbers, cherry or grape tomatoes, red onions, and olives. They add a great crunch and burst of flavor to the salad.
- Feta cheese is a classic ingredient in Mediterranean dishes, and it works particularly well here. The saltiness of the cheese pairs perfectly with the other ingredients in the salad.
This homemade dressing is easy to whisk together and uses only a few ingredients.
The key to a great Greek salad with couscous is to use fresh ingredients and a simple dressing that lets the flavors of the veggies and couscous shine through.
Preparation and Cooking Instructions
Making a Mediterranean Israeli couscous salad is quick and easy. Here is a quick overview to help you make the perfect Mediterranean couscous salad.
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red onion
- Fresh parsley or cilantro
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the couscous.
- Prepare the vegetables.
- Whisk together the dressing.
- Combine the couscous with the veggies in a large bowl and pour in the dressing.
- Mix it together and then sprinkle the cheese on top.
That’s it! Your Mediterranean couscous salad is ready to serve.
Serving Suggestions and Variations
Mediterranean salad with couscous is a versatile dish that can be served as a side or a main dish. Here are some serving suggestions and variations to make your couscous salad even more delicious.
- Serve as a side: This simple salad is a perfect side dish for grilled chicken, shrimp, or steak.
- Make it a main dish: Add some protein to your couscous salad to make it a satisfying main dish. Grilled chicken or shrimp are great options. You can also add some spinach or arugula for extra greens.
- Garnish with herbs: Fresh herbs like dill, tarragon, or fresh mint add a burst of flavor and color to your couscous salad. Sprinkle some chopped herbs on top of your salad before serving.
- Add some crunch: Add some toasted nuts, seeds, or beans like sliced almonds, pistachios, or garbanzo beans for a satisfying crunch to your couscous salad.
- Extra vegetables: Grilled fresh vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, or bell peppers add a depth of flavor to your couscous summer salad. You can also throw in some artichoke hearts, black olives, fresh red bell pepper, or sun-dried tomatoes.
Mediterranean Couscous Salad is a simple and easy dish that can be customized to fit your tastes and preferences. Experiment with different ingredients and flavors to create your own unique version of this classic dish.
Storage and Leftovers
Store any leftover salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This makes it a convenient lunch option that you can prepare in advance and take to work.
If you’re planning on serving the salad as a side dish, it’s best to make it fresh on the day you’re serving it. This will ensure that the vegetables are crisp and the flavors are at their best.
If you’re making the salad in advance, you can also prepare the ingredients separately and combine them just before serving. This will help to keep the vegetables fresh and crisp.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are many salad dressing options for couscous salad, depending on your personal taste. A simple vinaigrette made with red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice, or balsamic vinegar is a great choice.
You can also try a yogurt-based dressing with herbs like mint and cilantro for a refreshing twist. Some people prefer a spicy harissa dressing, while others like a sweet and tangy honey mustard dressing. Experiment with different ones to find your favorite.
Couscous salad is a versatile dish that pairs well with many other Mediterranean-inspired dishes. You can serve it alongside falafel, a mezze platter with hummus, baba ganoush, and pita bread. For a light lunch, try serving couscous salad with a side of fresh fruit.
Couscous salad is a great canvas for adding different spices and herbs. Some popular options include cumin, coriander, paprika, and za’atar. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different spice blends to find the perfect combination for your taste buds!
Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- 1 cup pearl couscous (uncooked)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 cup cucumber cubed
- 1/2 cup olives
- 5 oz feta cheese
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pearl couscous according to package instructions (about 8 minutes). Set aside, allow it to cool down.
- Meanwhile chop the veggies and add them to a big bowl.
- Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Once the couscous has cooled down add to the bowl of veggies. Toss in salad dressing and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.