Learn how to make crispy shrimp in the air fryer with no breading! This easy Air Fryer Shrimp Recipe is deliciously savory, flexible, and ready to eat in less than 20 minutes.
If you love your air fryer as much as I do, then you’ll want to give this Air Fryer Orange Chicken recipe a try as well!
Table of Contents
Shrimp is one of my favorite easy and healthy proteins. I love adding it to spinach salads, pasta, and tacos for extra protein and flavor. And when I don’t want to stress but need to get the shrimp on the table in a hurry, I cook it quickly in the air fryer.
This Air Fryer Shrimp Recipe always leaves me with perfectly seasoned and succulent shrimp. There’s no marinating or long cook times needed! A simple paprika and garlic seasoning ensures that every bite is packed with flavor while the 10-minute cook time gets it on the table in no time.
The best part is you only need a small amount of oil and no breading for crispy results! One bite and you’ll never go back to the long cooking times of baking or the excess oil from pan-frying.
Why make shrimp in the air fryer?
- Crispy and juicy shrimp with no breading. The air fryer cooks the shrimp using only 2 tablespoons of oil. It may be hard to believe, but this is all you need to help the shrimp taste crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside.
- Fast and foolproof. This super simple, 4-step recipe is a total breeze. Just season the shrimp, air fry, and enjoy! It’s ready to eat in less than 20 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite recipes. Crispy air fryer shrimp is so versatile! Pair it with endless other dishes, from salad to pasta to tacos. Head to the Serving Suggestions for inspiration!
- Shrimp – Use fresh or frozen shrimp that’s been peeled and deveined. Just remember to defrost it in the fridge ahead of time if you’re using frozen shrimp.
- Olive oil – Just a small amount of oil is needed to crisp the shrimp and help the seasonings stick.
- Paprika – I love the subtly sweet and smoky flavors of paprika but you can easily swap this for another seasoning you like. Check out the Variations section for ideas.
- Garlic – Use freshly minced garlic cloves for an irresistibly savory flavor.
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice – A spritz of lemon on the cooked shrimp elevates every bite.
- Cilantro – For garnish.
How to cook shrimp in the air fryer
Step 1: Rinse the shrimp under cold water, then transfer them to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Pat them completely dry.
Step 2: Toss the shrimp in a bowl with the oil, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic.
Step 3: Place the seasoned shrimp in an even layer in the air fryer basket. Cook for 10 minutes.
Step 4: When they’re ready, plate the shrimp and garnish them with fresh lemon juice and cilantro. Enjoy!
Tips and tricks
- The secret to the crispiest shrimp is to dry them thoroughly with paper towels before adding the seasonings and oil.
- Try not to pile the shrimp on top of each other in the air fryer basket. This will cause them to steam rather than crisp! Work in batches if you need to.
- If you’re making this recipe with frozen shrimp, defrost them in the bag in the fridge overnight or leave it under cool running water for 15 minutes.
You can serve this delicious shrimp recipe anywhere you need a healthy, light, and savory protein. Use these ideas for inspiration:
- Salad: Use the cooked shrimp as a protein on a refreshing Strawberry Spinach Salad or this cooling Cucumber and Shrimp Salad.
- Pasta: Shrimp Scampi Pasta is one of my favorites, but I also love adding shrimp to fettuccine alfredo and roasted vegetable pasta for extra protein.
- Tacos: Load the cooked shrimp into tortillas topped with fresh garden salsa and guacamole.
- Meal Prep: Just like my Shrimp Meal Prep and Keto Steak Meal Prep Bowls, you can load the shrimp into a container with fried rice or a hearty quinoa and chickpea salad for a healthy lunch.
Customize the flavor of your shrimp with all kinds of seasonings, garnishes, and marinades! Here’s what I like to use:
- Seasonings: Swap the paprika and garlic for Old Bay, dried herbs, chili powder, taco seasoning, Tajin, lemon pepper seasoning, or anything else you like.
- Marinades: This will deepen the flavors in the shrimp. Use the tropical, fruity marinade from my Sheet Pan Hawaiian Shrimp or the simple savory marinade from my Sheet Pan Mediterranean Shrimp.
- Garnishes: Top the cooked shrimp with lemon or lime juice, cilantro or parsley, crumbled feta cheese, or fresh chives.
To store: Leftover cooked shrimp can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat: Retain the crunchy texture by reheating the shrimp in the air fryer.
Want more shrimp recipes?
- Shrimp Avocado Cucumber Salad
- One Pot Shrimp Boil
- Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi
- Cajun Shrimp
- Portuguese Shrimp Mozambique
- Easy Shrimp Stew
Air Fryer Shrimp Recipe
- 1 lb shrimp peeled, deveined
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh lemon
- fresh cilantro
- Place shrimp in a strainer and rinse under cold water. Let the shrimp sit in strainer for a couple minutes to drip most of the water, then transfer the shrimp to a paper towel lined sheet pan. Pat dry shrimp with paper towel. This step is key to achieve perfectly cooked shrimp crispy on the outside.
- Season shrimp with oil, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic.
- Transfer seasoned shrimp to air fryer basket. Do no overlap. If need to, cook in batches.
- Cook in air fryer for 10 minutes at 450F degrees.
- Season shrimp with lemon juice and cilantro.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.