Elevate your plate with this smoked salmon breakfast casserole layered over a bed of soft brioche, cheesy eggs and farm fresh toppings!
what can I make with smoked salmon?
Call me weird but I love waking up to a house full of famished humans. Add on the holiday fun, and breakfast literally turns into a party. This power-boosting, flavor-packed smoked salmon breakfast casserole is like the brunch gods answering your prayer.
Super versatile, this salmon breakfast casserole is delicious as is, but you can customize with what you like or have available in your fridge. It is also one of the perfect leftover salmon recipes. Either way, just imagine the excitement of serving everyone at once without juggling between several pans.
Well, maybe a little bacon on the side can’t hurt 🙂
not a salmon lover?
No problem! Try sausage or ham instead of the Smoked Salmon Breakfast Casserole. The possibilities are endless, but here are a few I like:
- Ham and broccoli cheddar
- Sausage and pepper Gouda
- Vegetable medley
- Greens, eggs and ham
smoked or roasted salmon for the Smoked Salmon Breakfast Casserole recipe?
Either of these will work well. While it is nice to indulge on a piece of smoked salmon, I often just use my own version (roasted). Here is how to roast salmon in oven:
- Pre-heat oven to 400F degrees.
- Place a 6-8oz piece of salmon in a lined sheet pan.
- Season with EVOO, sea salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
how to make smoked salmon breakfast casserole
- Start by whisking the eggs in a large bowl. Then add in the milk, shredded cheese, cream cheese, dijon mustard and season with fresh ground black pepper. As for the cream cheese I love using salmon cream cheese, onion and chive, or whichever flavor you like.
- In a separate bowl add the salmon and the veggies. I am using kale, cherry tomatoes and red onions. Capers are optional but unless you hate them, do add them in, it’s delicious!
- Cube the brioche and place on the bottom of the casserole.
arranging the casserole
- First layer is the cubed brioche. Make sure the entire bottom of casserole is covered but do not press it down.
- Pour half of the egg/cheese mixture on to the bread.
- Then distribute the salmon and veggies evenly.
- Top with remaining egg mixture and extra shredded cheese.
- After baking for 40-45 minutes or until egg is cooked through, you'll have the Smoked Salmon Breakfast Casserole everyone will love.
If you love convenience and comfort of casseroles, check out this Healthy Tuna Casserole!
If you make this Smoked Salmon Breakfast Casserole recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Thanks a bunch!
Smoked Salmon Breakfast Casserole
- 8 whole cage-free eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ⅓ cup cream cheese (can use flavored like salmon or chives)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 6 oz smoked salmon (can sub for roasted salmon), flaked
- ½ whole red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 1 cup fresh kale, chopped small
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- ½ loaf brioche bread, cubed
- Pre-heat oven to 375F degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, add in milk, ½ cup cheese, dijon mustard, cream cheese (of choice) and ground pepper. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl add in salmon, onion, capers (if using), kale and cherry tomatoes. Mix to combine. Set aside
- Place a layer of brioche bread on the bottom of the casserole. Make sure to cover the entire bottom of casserole with loose cubes of brioche but don't press it down.
- Pour half of the egg mixture on to the brioche.
- Add in all the salmon and veggies. Make sure to distribute evenly.
- Top with remaining egg mixture.
- Fishish with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Check the center to make sure it is cooked through. Cheese should be bubbly but egg cooked all the way.
- Garnish with fresh greens, chives or dill, fresh ground black pepper and serve.
Save this recipe to Pinterest for later!
Just hover over the image and click the "Save" button.
Olivia - Primavera Kitchen says
These photos are so gorgeous 😉
Silvia Ribas says
Thank you!! 🙂
What size baking pan? 5 big eaters so need to make at least a 13x9 pan is ingredients enough
Would this work with cashew or coconut based cheeses and milk as a substitute?
Silvia Ribas says
I have sub for almond milk before but haven't tried with dairy-free cheeses. I am sure the consistency will be a bit different but other than that it should work
Linda Teskey says
Tonight I made the smoked salmon breakfast casserole for dinner. Only made half of the recipe as there are only 2 of us and left out the kale (because we hate it, lol) and I didn't have any capers. That being said, it was soooooo delicious and I am so happy there are leftovers for dinner tomorrow. This would be a marvelous thing to make if you had a crowd for breakfast or brunch or dinner, like us!
Silvia Ribas says
That's great Linda, happy to hear!! And thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is very much appreciated!! xo, Silvia
Could i make this the night before and bake it in the morning?
Silvia Ribas says
That should be fine, however I don't recommend making it more then a few hours earlier and keep refrigerated in the coldest part of the fridge. Hope this helps