Fire up the grill and get ready for these chicken sausage kabobs with roasted peppers, zucchini rounds and baby onions. Finish off with a drizzle of olive oil, lemon juice and fresh herbs. This recipe brings the best of summer flavors!
This post has been sponsored by al fresco chicken but all opinions stated are my own
Table of Contents
It’s no coincidence that I am sharing my first grill recipe on Memorial Day Weekend. This weekend we officially kick start the outdoor cooking (and living) season, and what better way to do so than with a tasty skewer in hand!
One of my favorite things to make on the grill are kabobs because they are super customizable, and when you have a large family this is something to consider so that everyone eats something they like.
The same idea applies when cooking for larger groups, which hopefully we can soon enjoy a summer cookout with our extended families, neighbors and friends. The idea of a customizable recipe like these sausage kabobs is practical, easy and crowd pleasing!
Because al fresco chicken sausages comes in so many flavors it’s easy to customize your kabobs. They are also fully cooked so you don’t need to worry whether your meat is properly cooked to safety standards.
All you are really doing is heating the sausages and making sure it has those nice grill marks that makes them so attractive and tasty 🙂
For this recipe I am using the roasted peppers and asiago chicken sausages because it goes really well with my pepper and veggies. This flavor is easy to please everyone, but you can check out their products page to see all the other flavors available.
tips and tricks on how to make the best sausage kabobs
- choose a colorful and fun variety of veggies
- cut the veggies all the same size so they all cook/ grill evenly
- make sure the protein you choose will cook for the same duration as the veggies otherwise the vegetables will overcook and fall part
- cutting longer cooking meats into small bite size pieces will make the cooking time faster
- mix and match the flavors so there is someone for everyone
- always finish with a pinch of seasoning of choice and garnish with fresh herbs
- cover the tip of the wooden skewer with aluminum foil so it doesn’t burn, and it’s cooler to touch once you remove the foil
want to make a whole meal? these recipes will go really well with the kabobs:
Cilantro Lime Rice is the perfect side!
Mediterranean Potato Salad or this
S’mores Bars (no bake) let’s not forget dessert 🙂
but if you want to cool off try these Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles!
and don’t forget a refreshing drink! Kiwi Agua Fresca
Veggies & Sausage Kabobs
- 1 pk al fresco chicken sausage (any flavor)
- 3 whole bell peppers, red, orange and yellow
- 8-10 baby red onions
- 1 small zucchini, sliced in rounds
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat the grill. Set 8 skewers aside*
- Cut the sausages in half. Also cut the bell peppers into square-ish shaped pieces, all about the same size. Have all the veggies washed and ready on your work surface.
- Insert veggies in skewer, in whichever order you like. They will look and taste nice with the colored peppers. Take turns with the zucchini and onions, just in case some people will prefer one over the other.
- Place skewers directly on the hot grill. Depending on the temperature of your grill, it may take 3-6 minutes to cook on each side. Since the sausage is already cooked, all you're looking to do is to heat them up and create some char marks. The veggies should be softer but not falling apart with some grill marks as well.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle some olive oil and fresh lemon juice. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Save this recipe to Pinterest for later!
Just hover over the image and click the “Save” button.