I love it when the weather is crazy hot, the sun shines all the way through 8 o’clock and my family and I completely lose our appetite! …NOT!! I still love the weather and long days but fiercely dislike babysitting a hot boiling pan, to put a meal on the table.
So, this week I am sharing a delicious Asian Quinoa Salad recipe that I prepared, which resulted in 3 full days of eating, less time in the kitchen cooking and more time to enjoy the outdoors. This Asian Quinoa Salad is packed with nutrient rich ingredients, so tasty and fresh you cannot turn it down!
Now that summer is fully here and the weather is plain gorgeous, my best cooking advise to you is, not to cook ! I am dead serious !! Instead, CREATE recipes that will;
- allow you plenty of free time to enjoy the outdoors and your favorite activities;
- give your body all the nutrition it needs in one easy recipe;
- help you stay cool, by eating refrigerated foods;
- taste just as good tomorrow and the next day; and
- requires little to no cooking
*All your back-to-school shopping in one convenient place!
Now that school is out and all the sports activities have resumed, I am definitely dealing with a game changer schedule. In an effort to be present, enjoy fun activities with the kids, make room for my own wishful things-to-do and still be able to work, cooking time has definitely suffered a serious cut down. However, this doesn’t necessarily means poor nutritious meals or lack or eating (which is not at all likely at my house!), it means I will be re-creating our menu to adjust to the changes and still fulfill our needs.
This Asian quinoa salad is a perfect example of some of the recipes I have been making this summer. This salad requires very little cooking (15 minutes for the quinoa) and little preparation for a 2-3 days coverage. I like to keep the dressing on the side and only add to the salad when ready to eat. This helps keep the salad fresh for a longer period of time.
This Asian quinoa salad is so delicious, healthy and filling. Packed with protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, add tofu for a complete nutritious vegetarian meal or your favorite choice of meat (protein).
Asian Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups red cabbage shredded
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes whole or halves
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 6 kale leaves thinly slices
- Using a sharp chef's knife, slice the cabbage as thinly as possible.
- Pile the kale leaves on top of each other and roll like a cigar. Slice them as thinly as possible (spaghetti thin)
- Combine all the ingredients in a big bowl and mix to combine.
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a separate bowl. Keep the dressing separate until ready to serve.
2. You can either use canned chickpeas or cook your own according to package instructions
Let’s connect in a more meaningful way! Follow Garden in the Kitchen on Instagram to catch the behind the scenes recipe making and other monkey business. Are you on Facebook? hey, me too! Hope to see you there friends 🙂
*this is an affiliate link, your support is greatly appreciated