Super MOIST Carrot Cake Cupcake with cream cheese frosting. This recipe is made with whole wheat flour, crushed pineapple, almonds, dried cranberries and no refined sugar!
Spring is in full bloom and my seasonally engaged appetite has been on CARROT mode for weeks! Don’t believe me? Take a peek into my last two recipes of Honey Roasted Carrots and Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup (with lots of carrots!) and you will see just what I mean. My all-time favorite Oven Baked Carrot Fries are back on the menu and now to balance all these savory carrot recipes I made these delicious and super MOIST Carrot Cake Cupcakes!!
OMG guys, I kid you not, these Carrot Cake Cupcakes are one of the best things that ever came out of my kitchen! And by that I mean BEST all around, from a clean eating point of view to absolutely deliciousness and eye-pealing too!
how to make a super MOIST carrot cake cupcake
Think of a muffin dressed like a cupcake. These carrot cake cupcakes have that moist muffin-like consistency with lots of textures compared to its cousin cupcake which is basically a mini cake. However the cream cheese frosting can be a little too confusion on its mission of being a muffin, so we’ll call it a cupcake 🙂
Cupcake or muffin, you will find that this recipe leaves nothing to desire. Its tasty, moist, flavorful, not overly sweet, and made with better-for-you ingredients.
easy homemade cream cheese frosting
Super simple to make, this 3-ingredient cream cheese frosting is full bodied deliciousness and its the perfect complement to these carrot cake cupcakes!
Now you can stop right here, but if you are like me you’ll want to finish your work of art with a cute carrot on top. Yessssss!! These adorable baby carrots are literally the end of a real carrot sliced in half. I used rosemary leaves as the greens but if you are lucky enough to get your carrots with the greens still attached, that’s even better!
If you make these Carro Cake Cupcakes, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you and always do my best to respond to all your comments. Also, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram for a special shutout and/or a chance of being featured in my newsletter!
Carrot Cake Cupcake
- 2 large cage-free eggs
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups crushed pineapple, fresh or canned
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 cup shaved/ slivered/ crushed almonds
- 1 cup baking cranberries
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Turn oven on 375F degrees. Line muffin pan with liners, muffin molds or silicone mold and set aside.
- Add the first six ingredients to a stand mixer, one at a time and mix using the whisk attachment on medium speed until well incorporated.
- Switch to the paddle attachment. Add the flour, one cup at a time. Followed by baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix until well combined. Turn off mixer and remove bowl from stand. Fold in almonds and cranberries.
- Scoop the dough into the muffin cups about 3/4 full. Bake for 23-25 minutes. Tops should be golden brown. Insert a toothpick to make sure it’s fully cooked inside (toothpick should come out clean). See notes* Remove from oven allow it to cool down.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Add cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a bowl and mix using a hand mixer or you can use the stand mixer, until smooth and well incorporated.
- When cupcakes are cooled down, spread a generous layer of cream cheese on top using a piping bag or spatula.
- Cut 1 1/2 – 2 inches of the end of a carrot then slice it in half lengthwise. Place one half cut side down on top of the cream cheese frosting and place a few rosemary leaves on top.