Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies (Vegan + Gluten-Free); a tasty and irresistible allergy-friendly treat for the Holidays!
What did I tell ya ’bout the cooking making business? It’s in full swing and honestly I am having so much fun! You see, I was never a baker. I always felt intimidated by it but deeply admired those who could whip up something and voila! a delicious treat would appear.
On the contrary, I believe that we can do anything we set our minds to do. So this year I decided to upgrade my baking skills. Well, I should say obtain some baking skills hahaha. To my surprise, learning to bake was fairly easy and totally accomplishable! But, what I didn’t know was… baking is so much fun!
Prior to baking was a bit of a struggle because having kids, you can’t avoid the sweet isle but I was struck by a jolt of guilt every time I brought home a treat. This reason alone combined with my passion for cooking (I swear, I practically live in the kitchen!), gave me the push I needed to start baking our own treats.
Now, with the Holidays approaching, baking is 100x funner!! When I made these Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies I had all my friends and family in mind. The ones with dietary restrictions and the ones who could eat just about anything. These cookies are vegan, gluten-free and allergy friendly, however they are just as indulging and delicious as any other cookie, so anyone can eat it and enjoy it!
These Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies also make for a special holiday gift to just about anyone on your list. So go ahead and double the batch because everyone will love these 🙂
- 1½ c gluten free baking flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 3 tbsp 100% cocoa powder
- 1 cup shortening (coconut oil + palm oil blend)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla or peppermint extract
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chip (gluten-free)
- 4 large candy cane or peppermint sprinkles
- Pre-heat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Set aside
- In a large bowl combine the brown sugar, shortening, vanilla or peppermint extract and maple syrup until creamy and uniform.
- Add half of the flour mix into the liquids and stir to combine. Add the other half and continue to stir until uniform. This is going to look thick, use your hands if easier. When the batter is uniform, add in the chocolate chips and fold.
- Form small size balls in the palm of your hands and press down slightly. Bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let it cool off for no more then 2-3 minutes then sprinkle with peppermint sprinkles or broken candy cane pieces.
PIN THIS IMAGE!
PIN THIS IMAGE!