These Gluten-Free Baked Onion Rings are absolutely heavenly! A delicious appetizer or snack minus the guilt!
Tall, handsome, smells amazing and make you want to lick your lips? I am talking about a stack of onion rings, off course!! I didn’t know if it was a mirage or just pure evil temptation when that stack of onion rings landed on my table. Thanks kids!
First thought was, do I hold my breath (the whole entire time) or silence my temptations by grabbing juuuuuust o n e. Just one!
We all know how that ended.
And the familiar cycle of endless guilt begun. But this time it ended with a matter-of-fact decision; I’ll make my own onion rings, gluten-free, baked and freaking delicious!!
The decision came out with anger, so you know it is happening 🙂
Come to find out, making onion rings is a lot easier then you think and certainly a lot safer, healthier and more economical to bake than to stand by a pool of hot oil that you have no use for afterwards.
Off course the concern is always the flavor and texture which is why I am here, to do the hard work for you.
After some testing and much thought I decided to add a surprise ingredient that you will most certainly NOT find in any onion ring recipe out there. Nutritional yeast! In my opinion nutritional yeast doesn’t get the attention it deserves. With nutritional yeast you can quickly add flavor and texture with a side order protein, vitamins and minerals.
Say what? It’s like taking onion rings from the bottom pit to actually good for you 🙂
As you know, the perfect onion rings are soft on the inside and super crispy and flavorful on the outside, so the triple dipping layers will do just that. Which is to create a layer, or crust I should say that will crisp up when baked while allowing the onion inside to soften.
The delicious combination of nutritional yeast, paprika and sea salt adds an explosion of flavor and amazing texture that otherwise you couldn’t achieve.
Simply perfection and pure joy, after all I get to have my onion rings anytime now without any shame or guilt.
Gluten-Free Baked Onion Rings
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 450F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut both ends of onion. Peel the onion and remove outer layer. Slice into 1/2 inch thick slices, thicker or thinner according to your preference. Then remove the onion rings from inside of each other.
- Dip each onion ring into gluten-free flour first. Then dip in eggs and lastly dip into panko seasoned with nutritional yeast, paprika and sea salt.
- Arrange onion rings side by side in sheet pan. Do not stack them or they won’t crisp up. Bake for 12-13 minutes on the bottom rack, turning once half way through.
- Serve them as a side, or snack. They are also good on top of salads or soups for a crunchy texture.