These crispy, soft, and sweet Oven Baked Carrot Fries are a delicious and healthy alternative to potato fries. Perfectly seasoned and ready in under 30 minutes, these fries are sure to be a hit at barbecues or as an after school snack.
One of the best ways to sneak more veggies into your diet is by disguising them as junk food. Just like zucchini noodles, these Oven Baked Carrot Fries are just as delicious and satisfying as regular french fries, but are loaded with nutrients!
If you’re thinking, “Carrots as french fries? What the heck?”, believe me when I say that they’re outstanding! Carrots have a natural sweetness that is amplified when sliced thin and roasted in the oven. The sweet flavors play so well with simple smoky seasonings, making each bite a real treat!
I thought I could snack on sweet potato fries or yucca fries all day long until I tried carrot fries. Not only are they less starchy, but they’re easy to prepare ahead of time and only need about 20 minutes in the oven. When they’re ready, these veggie fries with sriracha dipping sauce make for a tasty snack or a healthy side dish alongside all of the favorites at the barbecue, like Spicy Veggie Burgers and Potato Salad.
To make these Oven Baked Carrot Fries, all you need are a handful of carrots and simple seasonings (that are probably already in your pantry). They’re super quick, too! Save time by slicing the fries a day ahead or use your air fryer instead of the oven.
How to make baked carrot fries
The thinner the fries, the more crispy they’ll become. I like to start by slicing each carrot in half lengthwise, and then in half again to get 4 long and skinny sections. I then slice each of these sections into 3 or 4 fry-sized pieces.
Place the fries in an even layer on a baking sheet and drizzle the oil, seasonings, and parmesan cheese on top. Give everything a good toss, then bake.
While your fries are baking, make the spicy sriracha dipping sauce in a small bowl. Sprinkle the finished carrot fries with parsley and enjoy with the dip!
Can I make carrot fries in an air fryer?
Absolutely! If you love super crispy fries, the air fryer is going to be your best friend.
To make carrot fries in the air fryer, you’ll want to prepare and season your carrot fries as normal, then place them in an even layer in the air fryer basket. Don’t pile them on top of each other, otherwise, they won’t crisp up! Air fry the carrot fries at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes, making sure to flip the fries or shake the basket half way through.
Customize the flavors
Baked carrot fries are so easy to customize! There are many great flavor combinations to try, but these are some of my favorites:
- Mexican-inspired: Toss the sliced carrots in a mixture of garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle chili powder, and cumin. Make a zesty lime crema for dipping!
- Asian-inspired: Dress the carrots in ground ginger, garlic powder, and cilantro or coriander and top with sesame seeds.
- Garlic herb carrot fries: Toss your carrots in a mixture of oregano, parsley, cilantro, basil, minced garlic, and parmesan cheese.
- Spicy Cajun carrot fries: Keep things simple with a premade Cajun spice mix or make your own by combining chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, cayenne, paprika, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of sugar together.
How do I make carrot fries crispy?
The easiest way to make carrot fries extra crispy is to use the air fryer method. However, if you don’t have an air fryer, you can still make your carrot fries a bit crispier by adding a tablespoon of cornstarch to your spice mixture. The cornstarch surrounds the fries and creates a crunchy coating as they bake!
As a side note, carrots are super easy to grow and fun to harvest. I found this article on how to grow carrots very helpful and wanted to share it here.
More vegetarian side dishes
- Mediterranean Hummus Salad
- Simple Roasted Squash
- Tomato Stuffed Eggplant
- Grilled Potato Salad with Sweet Mustard Dressing
- Sheet Pan Roasted Veggies
More carrot recipes
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Instant Pot Simple Carrot Soup
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Herb Roasted Carrots
- Cranberry Orange Carrot Cake
Oven Baked Carrot Fries
- 4 large carrots, sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
Sriracha Mayo Sauce
- ¼ cup avocado mayo
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- lemon, juiced
- pinch of sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 425F degrees. Line a large sheet pan with foil and set aside.
- Wash, peel and remove ends of the carrots. Cut the carrots in half and slice each half in the middle (lenghtwise). Depending of the size of your carrots, you can get 3-4 carrot fries from each half.
- Transfer carrot fries to large sheet pan. Add oil, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper and toss with your hands to coat carrots evenly. You have the option to add parmesan cheese at this point if you like.
- Spreak carrot fries on to sheet pan without overlapping. If your baking sheet is too crowded use a second baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning them half way through.
- Meanwhile mix the sriracha ingredients in a small bowl. Crop up some parsley (or cilantro).
- When carrots are done, garnish with fresh parsley (or cilantro) and serve with sriracha mayo sauce.