These dry-rubbed oven baked chicken wings are all about the flavor and perfect crispness. Great served as an appetizer, these wings will bring life to any party! But I often make these chicken wings for dinner. Regardless of how you serve them, this recipe will not disappoint!
Chicken wings are almost always associated with party food. Sure it’s a great finger food, they are easy to eat and mess-free, plus they are usually very flavorful. But I actually grew up eating chicken wings as a meal along with rice and beans, and let me tell you… they do not disappoint!
Regardless of how you prefer to eat chicken wings, they are a delicious and fun, especially if the wings are cooked properly meaning the skin is crispy and bursting in flavor while the meat is still moist.
One of my favorite ways to season wings is using a dry rub, with a combination of flavorful seasonings and spices. This is an easy and quick way to add flavor to the wings, but also the dry rub allows for the wings to get extra crispy because there is less moisture on the chicken skin.
What makes a good chicken wing?
As I said before, a good chicken wing should have a nice crunch to it. You can hear the crunch as you sink your teeth into the skin. And the meat inside is moist. The wings should also have great flavor and nice golden color to it.
How do you get a dry rub to stick to Wings
After washing and drying the wings, add a generous layer of oil and make sure that every single wing is coated with oil. The oil is what’s going to bind the dry rub.
How to make really crispy chicken wings
Technically the less moisture the crispier the wings. This is why it is so important to dry the wings well before adding the rub. Also, I find it much easier to achieve the perfect crispy wings by using a dry rub as opposed to a sauce.
Can you make chicken wings ahead of time
Yes! You can go through all the steps of washing the wings, drying with a paper towel and place them on a lined sheet pan in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. When ready to cook simply add oil and dry rub.
If you make this dry-rubbed oven baked chicken wings recipe, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Thanks a bunch!
Other favorite party appetizers:
Dry-Rubbed Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- 3 lb chicken wings/ drumsticks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- Pre-heat oven to 450F degrees. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside
- Wash the chicken throughly and transfer to a paper towel layered sheet pan. It's important that the chicken is all dried in order to get that crispy texture.
- Add the oil and seasonings, except for sea salt flakes. Using your hand toss until all the chicken is evenly coated.
- Transfer each wing/ drumstick to the lined sheet pan, placing them side by side witout overlapping. Then sprinkle with sea salt flakes
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Optional to broil for 1 minute for extra crispness
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with chipotle mayo or your favorite dipping sauce