Marinated and baked to perfection, these Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks are coated with a combination of sundried tomatoes and Italian herbs for a quick and easy dinner that’s guaranteed to please.
If you enjoy cooking with chicken thighs you may also like this Instant Pot Chicken Thighs recipe.
Table of Contents
Oven baked drumsticks are the perfect family meal. With just a few basic ingredients you can get the chicken in the fridge marinating in no time. Perfect to prep the night before you want to serve them or even during your meal prep session.
Chicken is always a good go-to family meal protein option. Everyone likes chicken whether it be chicken breasts or drumsticks, you can usually find an easy recipe to prepare, it cooks up fairly quickly and it pretty much pairs with any side dish or salad. If you choose to prepare chicken drumsticks, look for drumsticks that are uniform in size so they cook up at the same pace.
Why use sundried tomatoes in oil?
This recipe for drumsticks uses sundried tomatoes in oil as a seasoning. If you don’t have a jar of sundried tomatoes in oil in your fridge you are missing out on a whole new way to flavor your food. Sundried tomatoes add a very distinct, tart, and slightly salty flavor to your dishes. You can add them to eggs, season your meat or chicken with them, add them to pasta sauces, or turn them into pesto. They are extremely versatile and a great way to enhance the taste of your food.
NOTE: this is the jar of sun dried tomato in oil that I use!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe For Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Family favorite: Everyone loves drumsticks, kids and adults alike.
Easy: In just a few simple steps you can create a delicious and satisfying meal.
Juicy: Marinating the chicken helps it cook up moist and juicy.
Flavorful: Sundried tomatoes along with Italian herbs, garlic and onion powder create a super tasty marinade for a super flavorful dish.
- Chicken drumsticks – Look for plump, pinkish drumsticks, uniform in size.
- Olive oil – Extra virgin olive oil is great but any kind of oil is good.
- Sun-dried tomato – Use sundried tomatoes in oil or use tomato paste as an alternative if you don’t have any sundried tomatoes on hand.
- Kosher salt – Kosher salt enhances the flavor of the chicken though sea salt will also work.
- Dried herbs and spices – Ground pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and Italian herbs round out the flavor of these drumsticks.
- Fresh herbs – Garnish with a few sprigs of cilantro. If you aren’t a cilantro fan use parsley.
How To Make Chicken Drumsticks
Step 1: Rinse the chicken in cold water, pat it dry and place inside a large Ziplock bag.
Step 2: Whisk oil, pepper, and seasonings in a small bowl.
Step 3: Pour the oil marinade over the chicken inside the bag and seal it. Toss the bag around to distribute the marinade evenly.
Step 4: Place the chicken in the refrigerator to marinate for at least one hour. You can also let the chicken marinate overnight.
Step 5: Once the chicken has finished marinating, transfer it to a baking pan and bake at 400F degrees for 50 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
Tips and Variations
- Swap the chicken drumsticks. Try chicken breasts instead of drumsticks.
- Use tomato paste. If you don’t have sundried tomatoes on hand use tomato paste instead.
- Mix in some spice. Add a touch of chili flakes or cayenne pepper to the marinade for a touch of spice.
- Change up the seasonings. Stir in some thyme, rosemary or any other dried spices you have on hand.
It is best to bake chicken drumsticks between 400 and 425 degrees in order to create a crispy skin while ensuring the interior is fully cooked.
It should take between 40-50 minutes to ensure a drumstick is fully cooked.
Use a meat thermometer to test the internal temperature of the chicken thighs. The temperature should be 165 degrees.
Make ahead and storage
Chicken drumsticks can easily be prepared ahead of time and stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Chicken drumsticks freeze very well and will keep in the freezer for 3 months.
Looking for more chicken recipes?
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Sheet Pan Vegetable Thighs With Vegetables
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Garlic Chicken Thighs and Green Beans Skillet
Check for doneness about halfway through the cooking time to ensure the chicken thighs don’t overcook and get dried out. If you find the skin is starting to brown you can flip them over and allow them to cook on the other side.
Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 lb chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp sun dried tomato preserved in oil sub for tomato paste
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- fresh cilantro
- Prep chicken by rinsing in cold water, then pat dry with paper towels. Transfer chicken to a large ziplock bag and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together oil, salt, pepper and seasonings.
- Pour marinade over the chicken. Zip the bag shut and toss it around to distribute the marinade evenly.
- Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least one hour. Can be marinated overnight.
- Bake at 400F degrees for 50 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.